Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining new bike

Options
  • 27-09-2019 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Recently upgraded to a decent road bike which I use to commute 20km round trip 5 days a week. Coming up to winter now I'm wondering whats the best way to keep it clean / what to use, other than just bringing for regular service.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should be able to do the low key 'servicing' yourself. one of the main ones is keeping the chain in good health; if it's especially mucky, you might need to do this more than once a week. oil the chain - very lightly, and wipe off any excess oil and crud.
    washing the bike to stop it getting too dirty is advised.

do you have mudguards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tyre Pressure, and regularly cleaning and re-lubing the chain. If it'll take mudguards, a decent/ long front one will reduce dirt and therefore wear and tear on the chain and drivetrain (and keep your feet dryer! - a decent back one will keep your own back dryer too).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

GCN have some good tips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuPowJ6_Q4

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Thanks for the tips, Yes i got decent mudguards front and back on the bike already i got sick of having a wet 4rse!

Advertisement