We've partnered up with to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from and get an exclusive discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

State savings change of address

  • 25-09-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭✭ pawel2006

    We have state savings account with significant amount (accumulated over couple of years via child benefits - it was to finance future studies of our kids). Account is in the name of my wife and my own name. We have been living in Ireland but moved back to France 3 years ago.

    We have tried to update our address when we visited Ireland (giving forms at post office with proof of address) but without success - we received by post... the same forms we sent but empty!!!!. We still have old address on state savings and cannot receive any communication from NTMA....

    And if we want to close account then the cheque will be sent to old address so we can't really do it.

    Does anyone know how we can access our money:
    - what exactly needs to be sent to State Savings by Irish non resident in order to succesfully change address?

    - is there any place when we can go in Ireland with our passports to close the account and get a cheque?

    it is very bad experience and we really regret investing the money - we cannot get it back.

    any advice would be appreciated, thank you!!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭ Wheety

    Is your address abroad? They ask for 2 proofs of address and photo id. The post office should be able to stamp the form and take photo copies of these documents.

  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭✭ pawel2006

    Now we are in France so cannot stamp in Irish Post Office. And the last time we stamped documents and sent it got lost by post office or State Savings and they return us...empty forms.

    Does anyone followed this process already from abroad? Can we send 2 proofs of address (in French) signed for example by Irish embassy in Paris?

    and yes, address is French

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭ pwurple

    I had huge problems updating my address with them as well, and I think it might have to be a series of phone calls for you.

    Just so you realise as well, they set up different holding accounts each year for the child benefit, and each one of those has to be claimed separately and are addressed individually. They are incredibly difficult to get the money back out of, I ended up going into the GPO in the city center eventually to resolve it myself.

    Let these threads on the Post office savings in ireland be a warning to people, don't set them up!

  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭✭ pawel2006

    thanks pwpurple

    could you plks share how exactly you have managed to change address? GPO is General Post Office at O Connell street? Is there a special department there who is managing this? Which documents you have provided to them?