Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ramps signs - "m"?

• 25-09-2019 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Anyone know what the "m" means on these Ramps signs? I see them all over the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Barney224 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the "m" means on these Ramps signs? I see them all over the place.

It looks like there should be a distance nmber in front of it like 200m say.

That is the incorrect sign I believe it should be the ramp symbol on yellow background as per the Traffic Signs Manual - Chapter 6 Warning Signs.

W130.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

pajoguy wrote: »

That is the incorrect sign I believe it should be the ramp symbol on yellow background as per the Traffic Signs Manual - Chapter 6 Warning Signs.

W130.PNG

I was thinking that myself, but I see them all over Dublin. Really ugly signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd guess a wildly inaccurate number was peeled off the sign

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'd guess there's a design template like this but you're meant to fill in the number before sending off to the signage manufacturer. But the council forgot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

pajoguy wrote: »

W130.PNG

That's very informative pajoguy - thanks.

I don't think I've EVER seen that sign in use, except poss. for a 'hump-backed' bridge. Certainly never for ramps in a residential area...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

blindsider wrote: »

I don't think I've EVER seen that sign in use, except poss. for a 'hump-backed' bridge. Certainly never for ramps in a residential area...

All ramps in Killarney have that sign - but they are all recent ones. I presume the old signage is still in place in most areas and will be updated as we go forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

blindsider wrote: »

Because it falls under warning signs, and ramps are not worthy of a warning in the eyes of the councils (they're worthy of a JCB in mine, no place for them anywhere). There's no equivalent informational or regulatory sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Why do we call them ramps anyway instead of speed bumps. A ramp is half a speed bump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'd guess there's a design template like this but you're meant to fill in the number before sending off to the signage manufacturer. But the council forgot.

I can't understand why the signage manufacturer would produce the signs without informing the council...."ehhh you forgot the number!" Or were the council supposed to add the numbers as stickers on the signs?

Advertisement