Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse forst protection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K82UQU/ perfect for the job and you can plug in a second fan and have it just for cooling.

On socket switched as the preprogrammed low temperature and the other if it gets to hot, but you only need to use one or the other.

There is also a new version that you can control from your phone.

my3cents wrote: »
    I use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K82UQU/ perfect for the job and you can plug in a second fan and have it just for cooling.

On socket switched as the preprogrammed low temperature and the other if it gets to hot, but you only need to use one or the other.

There is also a new version that you can control from your phone.

Wow,
    that's a great looking piece of kit.
    Gives much more flexibility.
    What size is your green house and how many watts is your heater?

Wow,
    that's a great looking piece of kit.
    Gives much more flexibility.
    What size is your green house and how many watts is your heater?

20ft by 10ft (???) polytunnel a 2kw heater doesn't really keep it all frost free but good enough the way the plants are arranged.

Thanks,
    A good bit bigger than mine and I'd image mine would be better insulated,it being glass and brick.
    Going to go for the controller you linked to!
    thanks again

went with the wifi one,Thought the temp logging would be an interesting addition .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Sounds like we're both doing the same thing . I've just finishing up turing and old conservatory into a 10×14 ft greenhouse at the end of the garden. My electrician is due to install a heater and thermostat tomorrow. I'll let you know what he comes up with.

• Advertisement

As to what temp to set it to. I'm thinking 7 degrees. From what I'm reading that's will keep most things happy. I'm planning on using a few heat mats as well. I'd be keen to hear what others suggest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Any options that don't require running power out to the greenhouse?

Tree wrote: »
    Any options that don't require running power out to the greenhouse?

How far away is your green house from a power source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Good advices here,thanks .

My greenhouse has all the heating,dehumidifier and ventilation controls needed for my lovely plants.
    Im using 3 different control and execute systems,with real time alerts,automatical start and stop and with few scenes and timers.

However,i was thinking to double the walls, at the moment i have them build out of foil on a timber structure.
    If i can fit another layer and seal the middle air between them like a good sandwitch i may be able to extend the day's heat well in to the night.
    Question is how bad will plants be affected in regards to the light quality,it will reduce it for the photosynthesis and while giving them heat i take the light...

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

How far away is your green house from a power source?
    Opposite end of the garden, so ~5 metres

• Advertisement

Tree wrote: »
    Opposite end of the garden, so ~5 metres

Fairly close so,Get it wired up.
    it will be cheaper and more reliable in the long run.
    All you need is a socket down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,
    Getting pretty cold and wet in there.
    If temperatures drop below 10 degrees at night it will close the flowers and damage the fruit.
    Humidity i see another major issue as it wet and cold not creating a healthy environment.
    I have vegs still growing but due to temps and humids,i can pick white mushrooms...

How well can you isolate the place to keep the temps constant above 15 degrees !?

491931.jpg

491932.jpg

Going to try get the inkbird installed later tonight.
    Need to get the greenhouse wired up first!
    I need to do some sealing of gaps around where the greenhouse sits on the dwarf wall but it should be fairly well sealed .

Here is two recent pics.Its only 1 month old.

The last pic is the most recent ,

Bab4bjZ.jpg

BW5hAIV.jpg

0KFnfia.jpg

Lemon,grape,rosemary ,passion fruit and a banana tree being kept safe.
    The pile of plants in the corner are my pond plants from my last house being kept until the new pond is ready.

3SLOvgu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Your greenhouse is my dream! What size is it? Roughly how much did it cost you, wall and all?

scarepanda wrote: »
    Your greenhouse is my dream! What size is it? Roughly how much did it cost you, wall and all?

Thanks,
    It was a dream come true for us too!

All and all I think it was just shy of 2.5K.
    1600 for the greenhouse,
    500 used bricks at 1e a pop (used 400).
    300 for sand,cement ,gravel and some rebar for the foundation.
    Front vents,tiles make up the rest.

Its 8 x 14,The only one that size with a black frame that was reasonably priced .

https://www.lenehans.ie/the-cassrandra-range-of-greenhouses.html

Some day, some day!

The cost wasn't as bad actually as I expected! But I love the finish.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Some day, some day!

The cost wasn't as bad actually as I expected! But I love the finish.

DIY is the key,
    I have never laid bricks before (it shows in places!) but it was mostly enjoyable.

I bet its satisfying though to see it all finished by your own hand! Did it take you long to do? I like your little table and chairs in it as well!

We're still renting so its not even a remote possibility at the moment, but I can dream!

Took about 4 weekends to get the site leveled,foundation dug and poured and bricks laid.
    The seating area was an after though but we wanted somewhere to sit and drink gin in the evenings.
    cant be all work and no play can it!

That's a beauty. Best of look with her. DIY is definitely they way to go. I couldn't believe how expensive they can be.

• Advertisement

Took about 4 weekends to get the site leveled,foundation dug and poured and bricks laid.
    The seating area was an after though but we wanted somewhere to sit and drink gin in the evenings.

Next job is to line the greenhouse with bubble film for the winter so you aren't loosing as much heat.

If you like you can do half of it and have like a hanging screen across the middle.

Don't worry too much about light during the winter but do remember ventilation and get some fresh air in every time we have a warm sunny day then close up for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What size foundation did you need?
    Looks impressive.

What size foundation did you need?
    Looks impressive.

Probably went over kill tbh but I think it was 200mm wide x 350 deep or something.I threw in loads of broken tiles/slates as harcore and whacked it down by hand with a soil tamper.
    Then threw in a few lengths of 6mm rebar for good luck.

I have the inkbird temp controller fitted now and got a 2kW fan heater .
    Still need to seal up some gaps.

I have the inkbird temp controller fitted now and got a 2kW fan heater .
    Still need to seal up some gaps.

How did you get on with "programming" it?

Its not something that is plug and play, you need a heavy session of reading the instructions and understanding them before you can be 100% sure you have done it right.

It was a bit daunting at first all right (the abbreviations ?????) and there is a few things I still don't quite get.
    The app is 100 times easier to understand than the unit itself.

At the moment I just have it set up to keep the frost away.
    So it wont let the temp drop below 5 degrees .

It was a bit daunting at first all right (the abbreviations ?????) and there is a few things I still don't quite get.
    The app is 100 times easier to understand than the unit itself.

At the moment I just have it set up to keep the frost away.
    So it wont let the temp drop below 5 degrees .

What heater have you hooked up to it ? Hows it working out for you ?

What heater have you hooked up to it ? Hows it working out for you ?

Well,
    Turns out the inkbird controller (as above) won't do exactly what I wanted.
    I thought it would have a Min temp and a Max temp and keep in between that range.

Turns out it has A Target temp,and will try stay at that temp.

Not a big deal but the controller is calling for cooling all the time ,I will fit a stat to the fan to get it working how I want it.

As for the heater.I bought a 2kw blow heater in woodies (after checking argos,tesco etc) I should of went to Choice homestores in hindsight .much better value.

I don't know if its going to be up for the job,it's physically quite small.
    I used 2/3 tubes of silicone to seal some gaps so that should help.
    Need to get some extra draft strips for the doors.

But anyway I haven't seen frost yet outside so time will tell !

2kW Greenhouse fan heater/Grow house heater https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BHQD0JI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eQfQDbQVC526E

I just bought that. Will let you know how it goes.
    That a pity that your inkbird doesn't work to a temp zone.

Very good,
    I had considered that one.
    I'll see how this winter goes and if I need a bigger heater I'll use the inkbird to control a few heading mats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Dimplex coldwatcher is an option.

Advertisement