Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copper pipes turned green

Options
  • 24-09-2019 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of renovating a house. Unfortunately it was flooded a years back and as a result the copper pipes have turned green from being left sitting in stagnant water.

I've had a plumber out to look at them and he reckons that they're OK and that copper turns green over time anyhow, which I know.

But I'm wondering if I should do a proper job and replace all plumbing and piping with poly pipes / plastic piping?

That will obviously be a much bigger job and a lot more expensive and I am on a budget.

Also, from doing a bit of reading I'm seeing that poly pipes need replacing after 20 years or so, whereas before I have lived in houses that have copper pipes with no issues dating back 60/70 years etc..

A little unsure as to what course of action would be best. I won't have the opportunity to rip all up again so want to do a right job while I'm at it, ur cost is a big factor right now also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No, they can and will turn green. If the plumber said they were fine leave them as is. Dont be throwing money at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Moyglish wrote: »
    I'm in the process of renovating a house. Unfortunately it was flooded a years back and as a result the copper pipes have turned green from being left sitting in stagnant water.

I've had a plumber out to look at them and he reckons that they're OK and that copper turns green over time anyhow, which I know.

But I'm wondering if I should do a proper job and replace all plumbing and piping with pol

Sounds like it would be wasted money.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Wow, quick responses, I accidentally posted my OP too early before I had finished typing and you guys replied before I even had the chance to edit. :D

That's a relief to hear that the existing green copper piping should be OK as an entire refit and plumbing job would likely cost be 10k and I'm trying to keep costs down and as low as possible at the moment so that would have been a big chunk to blow all at once.

I'm going to get the plumber I have to perform a pressure test to check the system as is. Also, if we're keeping the existing pipe work, there's an additive I can buy to flush out the system, isn't there, as the house hasn't been lived in for a few Years so I want to make sure all is OK and good to go.

Thanks for your alighty speedy replies guys, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Regarding flushing, yes, but only in conjunction with a machine by somebody who knows what they’re doing. Not a diy job

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Regarding flushing, yes, but only in conjunction with a machine by somebody who knows what they’re doing. Not a diy job

Flushed mine twice last year due to radiator moves and removal of a multistove.

DIY

But admittedly it's not for everyone.

Just that yes it can be DIY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

listermint wrote: »

DIY

Power flushed or drained and refilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There was a thread here a couple of years ago. Someone posted soldered joint turning green. Some chancer convinced op that pipes were decaying. The next day op posted photos off where he cut lots & lots of holes in his ceiling in several rooms looking for these decaying pipes. He did untold cosmetic damage to to his home.

If a plumber you trust says that the pipes are fine then you should leave well enough alone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

listermint wrote: »

DIY

Chemical flush (waste of time) is a diy job, yes.
    Power flush with chemicals is not a diy job.

Advertisement