Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees for screening

Options
  • 23-09-2019 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice on what type of trees to plant to provide screening.

I'm looking for screening from a height of 7ft above a wall and then foliage for about another 3-5ft above that. So essentially foliage from 7ft to 10/15ft in height. I don't want the trees to spread into the neighbour's property either, so something not too big. I can plant a number of them together to achieve screening.

Ideally trees without a big root system. And hardy trees that won't die easily!

Not even sure such trees exist but someone might be able to help me please? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you looking for evergreens? Deciduous would be more inclined to do what you want but of course screening would be reduced in winter. Even so if you are just looking to screen a window, for example, winter branches would do a reasonable 'net curtain' effect. Something like Himalayan silver birch ticks the boxes, has nice cover, has enough twiggy branches to do the 'net curtain' I was talking about, and the growth is reasonably compact widthways.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

looksee wrote: »
    Are you looking for evergreens? Deciduous would be more inclined to do what you want but of course screening would be reduced in winter. Even so if you are just looking to screen a window, for example, winter branches would do a reasonable 'net curtain' effect. Something like Himalayan silver birch ticks the boxes, has nice cover, has enough twiggy branches to do the 'net curtain' I was talking about, and the growth is reasonably compact widthways.

Thanks a million. Sounds like what I'm looking for. I don't want any of those fir trees or leylandii. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I was going to suggest birch as well. I'm not a fan of the himalayan birch in particular, there seem to be several million of those bleached white stemmed trees around, but there are plenty of other lovely birches to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think silver birch are nice trees as well but like a lot of trees it does grow taller than the 10/15ft in height mentioned in the opening post. The ones I have growing in the mixed hedge row beside my house are definitely much taller than that and the RHS page on the silver birch says they generally grow taller than 12metres. If you are looking for a small tree then some of the fruit trees grown on root stock have been developed to not grow very big. I remember the plum and eating cherry trees I bought from Lidl and planted in the spring are supposed to just grow to 12 foot according to the label and other fruit trees I have planted over the years have also not got very big. It is very much dependant on what root stock the fruit trees are grown on as to what size they end up at.

There are types of pyrachanta that stay to the height mentioned and have a great display of berries in the winter when they get established and the thorns make them a good choice for security.

Flowering almond might also be an option for a tree to look good and provide screening but not get very big.

There are also some varieties of cotoneaster that might fit what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Consider cherry laurel. Hardy, grows fast and can be pruned to achieve whatever height and spread you want.

Doesn't need to be kept like a dense hedge, if you plant with good separation (maybe 6ft) you can get a lovely dappled shade.

Possibly plant with 3ft separation and then remove alternative plants when they get big, the others will rapidly fill the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Pleached trees would be a good option for screening, you can cut them to maintain their height... also they come in many different species. Not cheap tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agree with birch but avoid the common silver as it gets too big, flagpole cherry and sorbus 'sheerwater seedling' would be other suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Hornbeam would do all that you’re looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Bamboo all day everyday, get a clumping or very slow runner, have many of both, easily manageable and beautiful

Advertisement