Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

career in renewable energy

• 23-09-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭ edwardkiley

hello
    I am 20 years old. I have a big interest in renewable energy generation and I am particularly interested in solar. However I lack knowledge in the area and I was wondering how could could get a career/ or training in this area. unfortunately college is not an option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭ rolion

Hi Edward,

Welcome on board on boards... :)

Not sure we can help you here.

Can i ask you to answer / do your "home work" on few things:

list 5 things that you find nice about renewables;

list 5 things that you hate about it;

list 3 things that you are handy and confident working in the industry;

list 3 things that you may not be so happy working in the industry;

name 5 global companies that supply parts and "know-how" to relevant industry;

name local 5 companies that supply parts and "know-how" to relevant industry;

name 5 websites that have a valid active presence online in the renewables;

name 3 political acts that had to do with renewables,enviroment and yourself,direct or indirect;

name 2 economical issues that had to do with renewables,enviroment and yourself,direct or indirect;

name cryptic/anonymous 3 friends of yours that have installed renewables;

share your friends experience with renewables,both positive and negative,from all aspects that you can cover (i guess at least 3 now);

describe the ideal system with no restrictions on technical or budgetary sides, that you think will fit YOU ,a normal house,normal life,2 adults,2 kids.

Not lastly,try to sell me a renewable system of your choice.
    Maxim a page in format A4.
    Ask me few questions that will assist you in making the proposal.
    Then, i can answer any further queries that will help prepping the quotation.
    Then,i will reply and you do the pre-technical talk .Or,pre-sales talk... your choice !?

Does that sounds a fair game !??
    Be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭ taytobreath

hello
    I am 20 years old. I have a big interest in renewable energy generation and I am particularly interested in solar. However I lack knowledge in the area and I was wondering how could could get a career/ or training in this area. unfortunately college is not an option.

There's plenty solar panel installers around Ireland. Give them a call u might get lucky.

Ideally you'd need a third level qualification. Waterford and Cork do level 8 degrees in sustainable energy engineering and there's a big demand for the students coming off theses courses.

Buy some gear. Make it work, then make it work better.
    Beat the pencil pushers to practical applications of technology.

My friends boyfriend is an engineer of sorts. Works fixing & maintaining onshore & off shore windmills
    So maybe try to get into engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ JonathonS

Hi Edward,

Where are you living (county)?

Can you give some indication of why college is not an option?

• Advertisement

JonathonS wrote: »

Can you give some indication of why college is not an option?

Because you can learn more faster by getting your hands dirty?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭ edwardkiley

college is not really an option due to funds. I dont have the means of being able to get by for 4 years. Its mostly a family issue. Ive looked into grants and I wont qualify.
    Im living in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ JonathonS

Thanks for your reply Mark. I have sent you a Private Message.

You'll learn more by improving systems you design, on the tools and with some test gear, than in a lecture theatre doing marketing biased documentation based calculations. Being taught by lecturers who never in their lives tailed 50mm² to a battery terminal.

I'd start with 24v/48v and work up to 600V when you are confident.

I fix the work of professionals so often I just take it as a given these days to limit expectations of the wholesomeness and performance of any system I work on until I can prove it.

Hands up how many installers/designers/mentors own and use the systems they advocate?

Advertisement