Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere in Ennis to get laptop updated to win 10

Options
  • 21-09-2019 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭

An elderly frind has a DELL inspiron laptop with win 7 and I'm having a look at updating it to win 10 but it may be beyond me. ANYPLACE in Ennis I could try? Money is the ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

swoofer wrote: »
    An elderly frind has a DELL inspiron laptop with win 7 and I'm having a look at updating it to win 10 but it may be beyond me. ANYPLACE in Ennis I could try? Money is the ...

http://www.adverts.ie/16896910

Just download from the link he sends
    Installs pretty much by itself. You just click yes or no to some privacy questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

You need to check online if the full moble and number is compatible with windows 10 usually they have a serial number on the bottom cover and you can search for drivers on dell website with this serial number for windows 10 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Deagol

swoofer wrote: »

I'm expert hobbyist on PC's - living in Ennis. Happy to do upgrade / advise if possible etc. I don't buy dodgy Windows keys from adverts though so I would be getting full priced OEM software... PM me if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Don't buy anything, Microsoft are still offering it for free. Don't pay anyone to do it. It's trivial to do yourself.

Instructions are here - https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Don't buy anything, Microsoft are still offering it for free. Don't pay anyone to do it. It's trivial to do yourself.

Instructions are here - https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I take it from that you're an expert and happy to help when this 'free' update goes terribly wrong and leaves an elderly person without their laptop? Or another 'expert' sitting at home giving advise from google?

OP - I'd be using the free upgrade option if it works but Microsoft are not in the habit of giving stuff away - there are a lot of restrictions on the free update nowadays, it hasn't worked the last 3 times I've tried it for various reasons.

Anyway, I've made an offer to help without expectation of renumeration - PM me if you want. I'll be unfollowing this thread as I get royally pissed off with keyboard experts that typically give 'advise' on technology threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Deagol wrote: »
    I take it from that you're an expert and happy to help when this 'free' update goes terribly wrong and leaves an elderly person without their laptop? Or another 'expert' sitting at home giving advise from google?

OP - I'd be using the free upgrade option if it works but Microsoft are not in the habit of giving stuff away - there are a lot of restrictions on the free update nowadays, it hasn't worked the last 3 times I've tried it for various reasons.

Anyway, I've made an offer to help without expectation of renumeration - PM me if you want. I'll be unfollowing this thread as I get royally pissed off with keyboard experts that typically give 'advise' on technology threads.

I have been working in IT for 20 years, I have a degree in an IT field from UL and a masters degree also in an IT field from UCD. You on the other hand are an "expert hobbyist". Good day to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Deagol wrote: »
    II'll be unfollowing this thread as I get royally pissed off with keyboard experts that typically give 'advise' on technology threads.

I think that's best..
    I've also sent a link to your post about the 'dodgy' keys from adverts to the seller.

If you knew what you were taking about you'd know they were genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

7 replies in and we haven't had someone bash the OP and suggest they install Linux instead what's going on?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

7 replies in and we haven't had someone bash the OP and suggest they install Linux instead what's going on?

Sorry, been a bit busy today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Os2 Warp for the win.

I used Banner Gadgets in the past but they are closed as is the Computer Shop in Barrack St next to the champion. Btech in the quin road industrial estate are very good after that I'm not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭swoofer

@Dogg Munde , what can I say, you are a star, worked like a dream, took ages but left it overnight and now all good and FREE. Will get more ram now with money saved. I would never have found that link. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

You should check the Dell website for compatibility issues with your model of laptop, I have a Latitude E6410 and I can't get updated past version 1703 in Windows 10, so as someone has already posted, it looks like I will be putting Linux on it and try and get another Windows Laptop.

Just saw that the OP was sorted, anyway link is there for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

I have a Samsung S3510 Laptop with Windows 7, I have made a number of attempts to get a free upgrade to Win 10 using various methods but I always end up with the message shown in the screenshot, I have the Win 7 key but I am never asked for it (or a win 10 key for that matter), everything seems to download OK up to receipt of this message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭swoofer

I did a check and the spec on samsung does not support win 10, chip speed too slow, you need 1 gigahertz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

My system information says that I have a Celeron Dual core CPU T3500 2.1 Ghz 2094 Mhz installed, don,t know if this is the chip you mean.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd say that the Windows forum on here would be a great place to ask for advice https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=105

John.G wrote: »
    My system information says that I have a Celeron Dual core CPU T3500 2.1 Ghz 2094 Mhz installed, don,t know if this is the chip you mean.

Its nothing to do with CPU speed, Samsung have not released drivers for Win10 and therefore it fails the pre-update check.

Advertisement