Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cheap Mac-friendly router?

Options
  • 21-09-2019 10:57am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I think I asked this in another thread a while ago, but can anyone recommend a cheap, Mac-friendly router that will play nice with a Virgin Superhub in bridge mode?

The Superhub was fine for me until Virgin messed it up with firmware updates and now I have to cycle WiFi on all my Apple devices several times a day. This is a well known issue that plagued previous version of the Superhub which Virgin have somehow managed to bring to latest model.

People have previously recommended an Apple Airport Extreme, which I have used in the past and loved, but they are discontinued so I might as well get used to using a third party router.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What's the well known issue?
    When you say recycle do you mean turn off/on? Why?
    What's a Mac friendly router?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Recently installed a TP-Link Archer AC2300 with Virgin Hub in bridge mode. Works well though it does get rather hot (cat finds it a great bum-warmer). €119 from Komplett.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

beauf wrote: »
    What's the well known issue?
    When you say recycle do you mean turn off/on? Why?
    What's a Mac friendly router?

Issue = It shows connected to Wifi but no internet. Only affects Apple devices (which are fine on other networks), though there's so many problems with the Superhub who knows.

Cycle = turn off/on, which fixes issue.

Mac friendly = it works well with Macs, unlike you know the current one, and is reasonably user-friendly.
    MHP wrote: »
    Recently installed a TP-Link Archer AC2300 with Virgin Hub in bridge mode. Works well though it does get rather hot (cat finds it a great bum-warmer). €119 from Komplett.

Thanks, though that's a bit more than I was planning to spend. I was considering the ASUS RT-AC53, which is £43 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

If you're looking for cheap and you aren't in a hurry, it might be worth having a look at Xiaomi routers on Aliexpress. You could pick up a Xiaomi 4A for about €25. Xiaomi gear is pretty good.

Advertisement