Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exhaust fumes from garden machinery?

Options
  • 20-09-2019 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Im a gardener and a big part of my job is strimming, mowing and hedge trimming. I find the exhaust fumes that are emitted from these to be overwhelming. Especially since you tend to be using these machines for ours on end. Should I be worried about inhaling these fumes? What are the health risks associated? I think this is a major area of health and safety that is overlooked when it comes to these machines.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't imagine it's going to be good for you. we put catalytic converters on cars for a reason - and you can smell the difference in the exhaust between a motorbike and a car - and that's not even taking the two stroke issue into account.

i'm not aware of any studies on the effect on health of using two strokes for sustained periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭blackbox

There should be very little fumes from a mower unless it is badly worn or in need of a service.

Two-stroke engines burn oil with the fuel so smoke is inevitable. However, modern engines use only half the amount of oil (50:1 mix as opposed to 25:1 mix in older machines) so it might be wise to upgrade.

Also, cleaner, low smoke 2-stroke oils are availble, for example this is widely available.

i.e. there is a lot you can do to reduce risks.

If using machines for hours on end, you probably should be more concerned about the effects of vibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Running clean fuel like Aspen is probably a good start, way less stuff in alkylate fuel then in pump petrol.
    Lots of new machines have small catalytic converters already in them.
    Clean running engines shouldn't smoke much if at all possible use the prevailing wind to carry the exhaust away from you not into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Battery power for hedge trimmer and strimmer, four stroke for mower.

Expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

Lumen wrote: »
    Battery power for hedge trimmer and strimmer, four stroke for mower.

Expensive though.

It is expensive, but considering he is using the equipment constantly every day it would be worth the investment.

The likes of Stihl & Husky have backed cordless (battery powered) products including backpack batteries and a range of equipment suitable. Invest once in the battery and all the body only units you'll buy in the future will be cheaper than the petrol version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement