Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

redundancy start date?

Options
  • 18-09-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭

appreciate if anyone can give me their thoughts on this. what is the start date for reckonable service for redundancy in a situation like this.

someone in a job, say since 1995, leaves of their own accord after about 10 years. some time later realises they made a mistake with their new job and comes knocking looking for their old job back.... they are rehired in 2005 and this is the start date revenue has on file.

should redundancy be calculated from 1995 or 2005. does the gap in service have any impact and would the length of the gap (not sure of exact length of time) make any difference as it was the employee who chose to leave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Seve OB wrote: »
    appreciate if anyone can give me their thoughts on this. what is the start date for reckonable service for redundancy in a situation like this.

someone in a job, say since 1995, leaves of their own accord after about 10 years. some time later realises they made a mistake with their new job and comes knocking looking for their old job back.... they are rehired in 2005 and this is the start date revenue has on file.

should redundancy be calculated from 1995 or 2005. does the gap in service have any impact and would the length of the gap (not sure of exact length of time) make any difference as it was the employee who chose to leave

If you break service, even if it was for one day, your reconable service starts from your second period of employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

They left the company so would have been treated as new hire again for all intents and purposes in 2005.

Yep, service is from the start of the second period.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

thanks guys, just what i thought

is there any legislation which identifies this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Seve OB wrote: »
    thanks guys, just what i thought

is there any legislation which identifies this?

Reckonable service is covered in detail here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/redundancy_payments.html

Your scenario isn't specifically mentioned but technically if you leave a company (got a p45 etc) then your employment with that company has been terminated.

Deciding to go back to the same company at a later date (even if we are talking a short period in between) resets the clock and in most companies from an administrative point of view you are like a brand new recruit.

Advertisement