Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best android phone with a removable battery

Options
  • 17-09-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I think it’s time to say goodbye to my trusty Samsung S5. Great phone (still works perfectly) .

Just wondering is there any high spec phones for sale these days with a removable battery .

Thanks
    Barr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Out of nothing but curiosity, why a phone with a removable battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Higher spec phones tend to have bigger battery capacity. Not too many would have received removable batteries though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

havent had a removable battery phone in years.....

but anyway...heres a search for phones with removable batteries..... not many high level phones there

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/fe_battery-removable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Hoboo wrote: »
    Out of nothing but curiosity, why a phone with a removable battery?

Never run out of juice , spare battery with its own charger ,very handy when camping etc.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    havent had a removable battery phone in years.....

but anyway...heres a search for phones with removable batteries..... not many high level phones there

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/fe_battery-removable

Most of them are older than my S5 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Barr wrote: »
    Never run out of juice , spare battery with its own charger ,very handy when camping etc.

If your camping leave the smartphone at home. Take a regular old phone.

Smart phones are ghouls for mental health.

What about a power bank ? Can charge other phones devices so you wouldn't be too restricted. Same principle. Allows for wider scope of phones

https://m.banggood.com/buy/xiaomi-power-bank.html

listermint wrote: »
    If your camping leave the smartphone at home. Take a regular old phone.

Smart phones are ghouls for mental health.

Ahh your grand ........last thing I need is a second phone specific for camping :D

Power bank + water resistance > extra battery + no water resistance. Especially when camping since a 20,000mAh powerbank can charge your phone 5-7 times over.

GBX wrote: »
    What about a power bank ? Can charge other phones devices so you wouldn't be too restricted. Same principle. Allows for wider scope of phones

https://m.banggood.com/buy/xiaomi-power-bank.html

Could be my only option given the lack of choice on phones .. I always thought they seemed big and cumbersome (maybe just the ones I've seen in use)

• Advertisement

Could be my only option given the lack of choice on phones .. I always thought they seemed big and cumbersome (maybe just the ones I've seen in use)

You can get ones that fit in your wallet.

I have one of the Xiaomi 10000 mah ones it's not too cumbersome. The 20k is a beast though :D

You can get ones that fit in your wallet.

That looks great actually ... no bigger then carrying around a spare battery.

Think I'm definitely coming around to the idea of ditching looking for a new phone with a removable battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

FYI, you won't fully charge a 2500mAh battery from that 2500mAh powerbank though. Mostly battery voltages have to be converted up to 5V (reduces effective mAh) and there's also conversion loss due to other factors. You'd be lucky to fully charge a 2500mAh battery from a 5000mAh powerbank. A good brand would do it but many off-brand ones are garbage.

Linky: https://blog.banggood.com/the-secret-marketing-trick-behind-powerbank-capacity-29982.html

FYI, you won't fully charge a 2500mAh battery from that 2500mAh powerbank though. Mostly battery voltages have to be converted up to 5V (reduces effective mAh) and there's also conversion loss due to other factors. You'd be lucky to fully charge a 2500mAh battery from a 5000mAh powerbank. A good brand would do it but many off-brand ones are garbage.

Slight exaggeration. Even the worst power banks operate with >60% efficiency, with better ones usually being in the 70-85% range.

Well at least you half read what I said. I'll have to call that a win I suppose.

From that link, most powerbanks contain 3.7V cells so when converting that up to 5V they're straight off losing about a quarter, i.e. 5000mAh @3.7V is the equivalent of 3700mAh @5V which is what USB requires.

Then factor in best case scenario of 85% conversion efficiency and you're now left with 3145mAh. That'd only be 2220mAh with the poorer 60% efficiency rating.

I only bring this up so that folks don't think that they can buy any old 5000mAh like they might sell in Penney's or a petrol station thinking they'll be able to charge up their phone a couple of times.

Well at least you half read what I said. I'll have to call that a win I suppose.

Nope, I actually fully read what your article says, unfortunately it is you who only half read, since it states that Xiaomi power banks have a 98% efficient rating (and therefore a 72% rating overall with a potential 3.7W step-down) and the majority have a ~90% efficiency rating (67% rating overall). You instead have taken worst cases of 60% efficiency and best cases of 85% efficiency figures out of thin air. The article even states that you should assume that powerbanks have an overall efficiency of 70-75% in its conclusion, so I don't know why you're contradicting your own article with your claimed 44%-62% efficiency figures.

It's well known that powers banks have a 60-85% overall efficiency and not the 44%-62% efficiency you claim and I can easily link to many peer-reviewed studies showing it. Can you link to any studies suggesting your figures?

Sorry, just don't want people to be mislead by your statements. :)

I was using your 60% and 85% figures. I just thought those numbers applied AFTER the 3.7V -> 5V step-up, not overall. Well, that and my own experience of a cheapo 5000mAh powerbank that couldn't fully charge my 2900mAh battery. My Xiaomi one is much, much better in fairness.

I'd still avoid the powerbanks you see up next to the sweets though!

I was using your 60% and 85% figures. I just thought those numbers applied AFTER the 3.7V -> 5V step-up, not overall.

Why would I compare your 2500mAh->5000mAh end conversion with only halfway completed conversions? :pac:

Anyway, I'm glad we're in agreement. And yes, I like my Xiaomi one too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

long_b wrote: »

its a pity the performace is so sub par.

even the pocofone F1 (which is a year old at this stage) was much cheaper on initial release... and would still wipe the floor with that phone on performance.

if a phone like that is to be ethical and repairable to last over, say, 3 - 4 years, it needs to be flagship specced on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭T-Bird

T-Bird wrote: »

Specifications...

Weight - to be confirmed.

Lol - they don't even want to tell you the weight. basically it's a phone and an 18,000 mah battery merged together - will weigh probably 400g - modern day brick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Why would anyone need a removable battery in this day and age, just buy a power bank that charges your phone multiple times

glasso wrote: »
    Specifications...

Weight - to be confirmed.

Lol - they don't even want to tell you the weight. basically it's a phone and an 18,000 mah battery merged together - will weigh probably 400g - modern day brick

And not ever made either or seems: https://m.gsmarena.com/energizer_power_max_p18k_pop-9573.php

LAUNCH
    Announced 2019, February
    Status Cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    The absolute size of it is laughable.

That's such a ridiculous solution. One could carry a number of spare batteries in one's pocket instead of carrying around that brick. Must be horrible to use.

Btw OP, if your still looking, my current phone, the LG V20 has a removable battery. LG's flagship of 2017. There are third party batteries that increase the stock LG 32000mAH to 4200mAh and I can verify they are legit.

I've never had a phone without a removable battery except for a galaxy S6 that I didn't keep very long for that reason. Can't be doin with those powerbanks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

A used Samsung Note 4 with some RavPower batteries from Amazon would be my choice (assuming you can locate a Note 4)

I use mine as a backup phone and have a load of batteries for it.

Plenty of Pie Roms available for it and Q Roms are on the way

Advertisement