Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modifying PS4

Options
  • 17-09-2019 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

is it a good idea or possible to take apart a ps4 and place into a pc shell or could you add a bigger fan to the ps4 for cooling taughts anyone ??

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi there, I've moved your post into its own thread in the PlayStation forum where people may be better able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Niallfitz1 wrote: »
    is it a good idea or possible to take apart a ps4 and place into a pc shell or could you add a bigger fan to the ps4 for cooling taughts anyone ??

If your intent is to get it running cooler/quieter then simply throwing fans at it will see limited results. The original case is designed to manage airflow over low profile and encased heatsinks. If you replace the heatsinks with something more substantial or cool it on water, you'd likely see big cooling gains. Lots of examples of this online to see in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There are tons of modded PS4's out there,some of them are very cool.

Id want to have a good plan before takin one apart but its definitely doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Niallfitz1

Mr bugs ya my plan is just to cool and reduce noise of the ps4 so it don't sound like an airplane lol it could take flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mr bugs ya my plan is just to cool and reduce noise of the ps4 so it don't sound like an airplane lol it could take flight.

Is it a first gen machine? From day one my og PS4 was sooo loud. And by the time I traded it for a pro I honestly thought it was going to blow up. Was rediculous.

Maybe it’s not og but just needs to be cleaned. They get very clogged with dust over time and end up noisy as ****.

The first gen ones were just atrociously noisy in general.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Never had a problem with noise on any of my PS4s, to be honest. 1st gen, slim and Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have the same problem as you, fans going crazy, sounds like a plane, drowning out sounds from the game. I found this vid yesterday, maybe try it before adding anything to the console.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

A repaste will do the trick here. People have reported great results from re-applying thermal paste. There should be youtube tutorials around.

Advertisement