Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is President Higgins Creating A Dangerous Precedent?

Options
  • 17-09-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭

President Higgins is making increasingly political pronouncements during his second term in office. Including criticizing the employment practices of businesses and overtly criticizing the Trump administration for its withdrawal from the Paris Climate change agreement.

While these are both things you may agree with from our left leaning president does it open the possibility of a future, more right wing president making announcements for example, criticizing government immigration policy, minority rights, social welfare rates etc?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yes, but I think the President should be vocal on social issues. If we'd had the chancer Casey or Gallagher it would have been a circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

From now on he'll be known as Precedent Higgins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    President Higgins is making increasingly political pronouncements during his second term in office. Including criticizing the employment practices of businesses and overtly criticizing the Trump administration for its withdrawal from the Paris Climate change agreement.

While these are both things you may agree with from our left leaning president does it open the possibility of a future, more right wing president making announcements for example, criticizing government immigration policy, minority rights, social welfare rates etc?

Liberals love being the Hammer. They don't love it when its their time to be the nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If boards or the journal are anything to go by, no one believes in climate change in Ireland. How the hell did he get voted in last time if he preaches on climate change issues?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

My favourite was him talking about defence forces pay (which wasn’t all that bad).

People saying it wasn’t the place of him to get involved. As in, it wasn’t the place of the Commander in Chief of the Defence Forces.

I don’t think it’s a problem personally providing it’s kept at a level that doesn’t see him actively getting involved. Raise the concern. To be fair it took for him to comment before there was any meaningful discussion on the state of life in the Defence Forces so it can’t be all a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If boards or the journal are anything to go by, no one believes in climate change in Ireland. How the hell did he get voted in last time if he preaches on climate change issues?

People knew he was really a denier, what with sending his presidential limousine to meet his private jet and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A literal manlet as our president...how humiliating.

I wonder what your other post was like...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People knew he was really a denier, what with sending his presidential limousine to meet his private jet and all that.

oh so you don't mind them preaching as long as they're hypocrites?

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Liberals love being the Hammer. They don't love it when its their time to be the nail.

He's a right woke snowflake isn't he Ted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

oh so you don't mind them preaching as long as they're hypocrites?

Is there any other type of politician?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No drama here at all. Mary Robinson started all of that. Like the previous two incumbents he knows where the line lies.

is_that_so wrote: »
    No drama here at all. Mary Robinson started all of that. Like the previous two incumbents he knows where the line lies.

I doubt De Valera was a hands off president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Thankfully, it's highly unlikely that we'll ever elect an absolute bollocks as a president.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He's in his second term so of course he is going to push the boundaries. He knows he is very popular and its well known he is outspoken so I cant see Fine Gael attempting to bring him to heel, if they do that he'll dig in further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The majority of people who spend their days commenting on Boards, Journal, Facebook etc are little more than mouth-breathers. Their opinions on almost everything can be immediately discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The majority of people who spend their days commenting on Boards, Journal, Facebook etc are little more than mouth-breathers. Their opinions on almost everything can be immediately discounted.
    Oh, the irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the man is a living saint

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes, but I think the President should be vocal on social issues. If we'd had the chancer Casey or Gallagher it would have been a circus.

Can you imagine that sweaty incoherent fúcktard still banging the traveler drum?

So, people.
    This sounds like the boorish comments of a Yaley! Fine Gaeler! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Is SafeSurfer Setting a Dangerous Precedent?

SafeSurfer seems to be making increasingly political pronouncements as the thread progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I guess criticizing Trump is what all the cool kids do these days. The Paris Climate “Treaty” was a scam with all costs and no benefits to the US. Obama essentially offered up the US economy as a sacrificial lamb to further his own legacy, and didn’t put it through Congress for a vote because he new it would never get approved. What is done by executive order can be undone by executive order. Yet the US is on track to cut carbon emissions by 17% and it could still hit 24%, just shy of the Paris target. We’re just doing it our way! So, how is the rest of the world, who are in the agreement, doing on meeting climate goals? Not even close to their goals from what I hear. And others have to gall to criticize the US?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    I guess criticizing Trump is what all the cool kids do these days. The Paris Climate “Treaty” was a scam with all costs and no benefits to the US. Obama essentially offered up the US economy as a sacrificial lamb to further his own legacy, and didn’t put it through Congress for a vote because he new it would never get approved. What is done by executive order can be undone by executive order. Yet the US is on track to cut carbon emissions by 17% and it could still hit 24%, just shy of the Paris target. We’re just doing it our way! So, how is the rest of the world, who are in the agreement, doing on meeting climate goals? Not even close to their goals from what I hear. And others have to gall to criticize the US?

Higgins would wipe the floor with Trump any day. Different league.
    Trump is an often incoherent mouth piece for vested interests.

Check this:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Boggles wrote: »
    Can you imagine that sweaty incoherent fúcktard still banging the traveler drum?

Na, the skin will be too thick to get any kind of resonance.

Higgins would wipe the floor with Trump any day. Different league.
    Trump is an often incoherent mouth piece for vested interests.

Check this:

Nice rant. I understand you are nowhere near close to meeting your climate goals. Perhaps ya’ll need your own version of Trump.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Nice rant. I understand you are nowhere near close to meeting your climate goals. Perhaps ya’ll need your own version of Trump.

Rant? He spoke about supporting Americans. As one yourself I thought you'd appreciate it. Trump wasn't even mentioned. Was it the 'Obama' put you off?

Pointless dig there boss our Presidents sign laws and such, different job.
    Is that all you have in your tool box?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I doubt De Valera was a hands off president.
    Until Robinson came along and redefined it, it was a retirement home and little more than approved speeches and public appearances.

Rant? He spoke about supporting Americans. As one yourself I thought you'd appreciate it. Trump wasn't even mentioned. Was it the 'Obama' put you off?

Pointless dig there boss our Presidents sign laws and such, different job.
    Is that all you have in your tool box?
    I was referring to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ten Pin wrote: »
    From now on he'll be known as Precedent Higgins

Ahhh I like this.

We're done here, close the thread!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I was referring to you.

Ah. Watch the video clip so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989