Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary enrollment application...€140 charge?

Options
  • 16-09-2019 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

So looking into a secondary school for my twin boys who are now in 6th class. An enrollment form I have has a cover letter with it (see attached).

Basically, it means me paying 280 euro now by next week just to apply for my 2 kids. All the other schools in the area won't even have had their open night by time this one is offering places. How is a 280 "contribution" legal here.

Doesn't the Education (Admission to Schools) Act 2018 prohibit this kind of thing?
    Surely this is a money grabbing plan by the school knowing that people will have to apply to them by having their dates so early compared to all others in the area. They are using the "voluntary contribution" as an end-run around the law. In this case there is nothing voluntary about it.

I would even be happy to pay a token admin fee to apply. Another school in the area chanrges 25 euro which isnt too bad. 140 is a bit rich though.

Prohibition on charging admission and enrolment fees

64. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a board or person acting on a board’s behalf shall not charge fees for, or seek payments or contributions (howsoever described) as a condition of—

(a) an application for admission of a student to the school, or

(b) the admission or continued enrolment of a student in the school.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Will move this to a forum where I think it might get more answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thanks...wasn't sure where to put it to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I see you got no replies, so Ill try...but could be wrong mine are in college and senior cycle now so its probably all changed since they were your twins age.

Is the 140 euro offset off the cost of entry to the school (locker texts photocopying journal fees etc) ?

I wonder is the school is trying to cut down on parents holding places that another child might want?

They give a full refund if the student does not get offered a place, so I'm not sure if they are doing anything wrong by charging the 140?
    Just making sure that lots of parents don't put their kids down on lots of lists and decide in August, leaving the school undersubscribed, or giving kids late acceptance letters when the parents have already forked out 1000 euro to kit them out for a school they didn't want because a place was being held that wasn't going to be used at the school they did want?

Tbh once you hit secondary school you are talking big money and it doesn't get any cheaper (speaking from experience here)
    check out the saving for college thread 140 is a drop in the ocean ;/

Advertisement