Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information allowances after dismissal

Options
  • 16-09-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello there,

This is my first post, and first question here. Hope it is the good place

I am a french expatriate who work here in Ireland for a big company, which I'd like to keep anonymous for now. I came here exclusively to work for them because they offered me a ''good'' position.

If there is some french, or people who knows the french laws about that, you probably know that we have something who when the employer fire his employee if there is any issue, he has to give an allowance
    This is something I am looking for, here in Ireland. I heard that there's no such things in Ireland, according to my manager.

Here's my situation :

I am working since two years now to this company, and it's driving me mad. I can't handle the job anymore, and I don't want to put my feet on there anymore. I hate people there, and I have such a pressure when I enter to the office, which force me to leave the place as soon as possible.

There is an issue with that. I planned an expensive travel last year, and I come in a difficult financial situation. So I wanted to know if I could be fired, or something like that, and I know that all companies hates that. But one thing is sure, it's that I will never go back on this place, and company, ever. I have my reasons.
    The travel will be canceled anyway I think. For my own mind, I'd like to get something, because in a certain way, this is their fault if I am in this situation, because they're note making things easier for me.

So after talking with my manager, she told be that I just have to do a letter, and I will be resigned as soon as possible, with 2 ways :
    I give 30 days of notice, which I have to work
    I will be resigned in a 'dirty' way, which means my contract end as soon as possible, without notice. I think in both situations, I can have my untaken holidays back. Well, I hope so. Anyway.

My will is to get these holidays AND a month of allowance, because of my travel AND my potential comeback in France, which mean I will have to take a new appartement and buy a new car for my needs, I need help for that, cause as of today, it won't be possible.

I've saw on the website Citizen information that a 'payment in lieu of notice' can happen in Ireland. I've talk about that to my manager, and she told me that there's no such thing like this for people who resign, and she told me also 'We don't dismisses people like that!' when I asked them to fired me.

Is there anything I can do to leave my work, and getting a certain allowance with agreement ? I don't like doing such things, but I need that to get back to a normal life.

I'm affraid to contact HR because I dont trust their privacy.

Pardon my english if there is some issue for understand. I can try to reexplain things if you don't get it all lol

Thank you for your future help (I hope lol)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm afraid not. If you resign you will lose your holidays that are related to the rest of the year but may be paid for holidays untaken to this time.

If you are fired due to poor performance or whatever you are not entitled to any pay other than that which you are due and in lieu of notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Apocalyps

Hello Stheno,

Thanks, that answer once and for all to all my doubt.

Just to double check then

If I get fired, or if I resign, both are the same in my case ? I mean, I won't earn anything from both solutions ? Both will allow me to get my untaken holidays paid, and the pay will be calculated until the last day of work, right ?

The only way for me to get more then, is to work with a notice period before leaving ? How does the payment without notice work ?

Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you either resign (and give the proper notice) or are fired (and given the proper notice, unless you are fired for gross misconduct which would justify them not giving you the notice) then you are entitled to all the hours you have worked and any annual leave/public holidays that you have accrued so far and not taken.
    There will be no other payment due to you in any of these scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Apocalyps

Thank you very much, I got all my answer. :)

Advertisement