Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating an Archive

Options
  • 16-09-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Opinions please:

I have a room full of pictures, videos, audio clips, newspaper clips, documents and so on going as far back as almost 100 years. It's Irish history in the traditional music sector. I've been asked to create an online archive of the room but before I do it, I'm wondering exactly, we equipment I'll need. Any ideas?

The audio are on cds, compact discs and USB's.

What kind of computer should I get for this? Also, any recommendations on servers? Will Audacity do to convert the Audio clips?

Would i need anything else? I have a nice budget for this but need to order before I start project.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Cool project, you have budget.....define "nice budget".
    With "nice budget" you can build "Tesla spaceship" :D
    Let me kick-start it...

Do you have local server? NAS?

If not, are you willing to host on local server or all data will be hosted offsite?

If its archive, are you enhancing/converting video/audio or digitize/store "as is"?

How "professional" it has to be?

Will this archive be available for general public? Restricted/limited access? What is traffic expectation?

Do you have estimate how much it will be in digital units (GB, TB, ...)?

Will you be able to scan all paperwork? Photography needed?

Vinyl records, tapes?

More question than answers so far...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

1. Yes we have a local server but I've been asked if possible not to put it on it and to get a separate server for this project on it's own. Should I buy a portable server? Would the HPE ProLiant MicroServer be any good?

Eventually all this material will be on a website and stored on a hosting providers server.

2. We will be converting all our audio and video to the same format if possible.

3. I'm not sure how professional it has to be but we would like it to look good.

4. It will be available to the public. It's an open source website.

5. I'm not sure how much material there is but there's a lot :eek:

6. I have a very good printer scanner at work that will convert all the documents to PDF

7. We have everything from cd's, to compact dics, some tapes, usbs

Advertisement