Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full fat milk

Options
  • 15-09-2019 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭

Any time I go to costa or insomnia I have to ask for full fat milk as it’s never on show and hidden away for whatever reason. Why do they always have that low fat or semi skimmed Shjte and never proper milk. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    +1
    +2 as long as they don't burn it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Blame the greens and the vegans ..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Blame the greens and the vegans ..
    Surely if they ruled the roost there would be no milk at all available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any time I go to costa or insomnia I have to ask for full fat milk as it’s never on show and hidden away for whatever reason. Why do they always have that low fat or semi skimmed Shjte and never proper milk. Am I missing something?

Your first step is to go to a half decent cafe where this will never be an issue and you'll probably pay less anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ask for cream. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Dtp1979 wrote: »

From what I understand, non-fat/skimmed milk is much easier to froth-probably cheaper as well...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Watered down milk into flavoured water. It really makes no odds unless you were planning on putting in a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

"Can you make my latte with skimmed milk please?

Skimmed milk because there are no calories in skimmed milk, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

glynf wrote: »
    From what I understand, non-fat/skimmed milk is much easier to froth-probably cheaper as well...

Not true - maybe it bubbles up but milk with higher fat always produces a much nicer, denser foam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

J_E wrote: »
    Not true - maybe it bubbles up but milk with higher fat always produces a much nicer, denser foam.

I think that places like Costa and Insomnia etc who use semi automatic or fully automatic machines don't use full fat milk as it's much harder to clean out of the milk pipes. The higher enzyme level makes the fat stick to the piping.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Urban people like their food and beverages with zero calories

• Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think that places like Costa and Insomnia etc who use semi automatic or fully automatic machines don't use full fat milk as it's much harder to clean out of the milk pipes. The higher enzyme level makes the fat stick to the piping.

The places I’m talking about have the milk in the stainless steel jugs so it has no bearing on the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Having worked in a Starbucks previously, we only ever had semi skimmed or skimmed milk. What I remember being told was that the full fat milk has a slightly different taste when frothed so wasn't used. I have no idea if that is accurate or not as I use full fat myself and don't notice a difference., But I wouldn't have the most cultured palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Skimmed or semi skimmed or low fat whatever is a joke and tastes like chalk and water.

Buy a litre of full fat and add water, voila.... You have the same and lasts twice as long!

Only joking.. I am a full fat milk user here. Nothing quite like it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Milk in glass bottles with cream floating on the top, collected from your doorstep early in the morning, reprsented peak peak milk taste and peak civilisation. All downhill since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'd say it's just down to the fact that half-fat seems to be the most popular sort of milk these days - it seems to have a much bigger display in my supermarket compared to its full-fat brethren, it's the only milk in my office kitchen, it's the only milk I'd normally have at home.

Tbh, I prefer half-fat milk in tea for this same reason - if I drink the real stuff in tea now, it seems overly creamy and cloying :o I imagine a lot of people are similar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I'd say it's just down to the fact that half-fat seems to be the most popular sort of milk these days - it seems to have a much bigger display in my supermarket compared to its full-fat brethren, it's the only milk in my office kitchen,

Probably because generation fat arse think they’re doing some good drinking that excuse for milk. Same folk will wash down their burger and chip meal with Diet Coke, cause they’re on a diet like. Gotta make healthy choices ya know

Advertisement