Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever hid academic achievements in order to get a basic job?

Options
  • 15-09-2019 10:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23

I've successfully gotten two jobs by doing this. I've been in situations where guys have basically said to me "I'd honestly love to hire you, but with your qualifications it wouldn't be right".

The first time I tried this was when I went for an interview in Dunnes Stores. They were skeptical that I had recently graduated and that I might leave them if I got offered a job in my field. I knew this of course, so I played them like a fiddle. I told them that I already had secured a 12 month contract with a company, but that it wasn't due to start until 6 months. Their response was quite funny; they said "oh that's just what we needed to hear". "Yeah I know" I thought to myself.

Comments

I've successfully gotten two jobs by doing this. I've been in situations where guys have basically said to me "I'd honestly love to hire you, but with your qualifications it wouldn't be right".

The first time I tried this was when I went for an interview in Dunnes Stores. They were skeptical that I had recently graduated and that I might leave them if I got offered a job in my field. I knew this of course, so I played them like a fiddle. I told them that I already had a 12 month contract in a company but that it wasn't due to start until 6 months. Their response was quite funny; they said "oh that's just what we needed to hear". "Yeah I know" I thought to myself.

You're a certifiable genius. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Your odd use of tenses suggests you may be slightly overestimating your level of academic achievement...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭ForestFire

So how are things in Dunnes stores these days OP???

At least your probably still playing that fiddle on your breaks, and they're wondering when will you ever leave :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Asian Scammer

ForestFire wrote: »
    So how are things in Dunnes stores these days OP???

At least your probably still playing that fiddle on your breaks, and they're wondering when will you ever leave :D
    Better than nothing. Imagine where I'd be if I were honest!

It used to never cease to amaze me how companies failed to see the bigger picture. If you were to get someone with qualifications in and they get to learn the business from the ground up while progressing through the company. Costs little or nothing to upskill the employee as they've already got the degree. I can understand not taking the risk with an SME but a big company such as Dunnes for example could easily afford to take the chance if they were smart about it.

Then it suddenly hit me one day. My belief is that companies dont want any form of intellect on ground level because they wont want their systems, culture or methods being questioned. They want submissive employees that will just do the job no matter how poor or inefficient their current practices are. They dont want people who can improve their systems because it possibly paints their own management in a negative light.

Of course there could be a variety of other reasons but i think the 'its a risk you could leave us as soon as you get a better offer' is a load of shíte really. The same company would say in the next breath how they've had loads of applicants for their amazing job....Really? Its so amazing that an employee might potentially leave it some day for pastures new? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

the city
    Then it suddenly hit me one day. My belief is that companies dont want any form of intellect on ground level because they wont want their systems, culture or methods being questioned. They want submissive employees that will just do the job no matter how poor or inefficient their current practices are. They dont want people who can improve their systems because it possibly paints their own management in a negative light.

s:

Believe the same. They want someone who will fit in and not question established practices. I've left qualifications off CVS and acted dumb at interview to get menial jobs in the past. Of course I often became a disruptive influence and didn't fit in afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was looking for a job, any job, a few years ago and not having much luck until a friend told me to take my qualifications off my CV. They were right. I was worried about leaving gaps but it seems being overqualified is worse to many employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I was looking for a job, any job, a few years ago and not having much luck until a friend told me to take my qualifications off my CV. They were right. I was worried about leaving gaps but it seems being overqualified is worse to many employers.

....and then you found a job
    And heaven knows you're miserable now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hiring for positions in retail we often get applications in from fresh graduates for customer assistant roles. It generally works out badly for both sides, I hired two people last September, both were gone by January. They were well able to do the job but felt they were better than it and as such half arsed everything. Always miserable and felt the world owed them better, one left of her own accord and secured another position. I did hire a graduate three years ago who has moved up extremely quickly in the company due to her ambition and using her qualifications to improve performance. She started as a customer assistant and has had 3 promotions in three years. She's the exception in my experience rather than the rule.

By all means hide qualifications if you think it'll help get the job, I would personally look favourably on qualifications when interviewing still but I'm very much trying to see personality traits that will show they won't drift into negativity.

Also in the current market, I dont see any retailer, particularly in Dublin turning their noses up at any kind of applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

:

What you've just described is called the public service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement