Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good places to get a dash cam installation

Options
  • 14-09-2019 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

I've never had a dash cam installed, and wouldn't have a clue about how to do so myself. Would rather a pro did it instead of me attempting a half assed job.

Halfords will not install one on an EV (although their UK customer support disagree with that).

Where would be a good place to get one installed (Kona) that won't be confused when they see the large battery under the bonnet?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Where you based ?
    I have my guys doing car installs audio video GPS alarms dashcam... since 20 years ago.

They're based in Palmerstown / Dublin and I hope they will not scared of your battery hidden under the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Thanks rolion I live in the middle of nowhere in Longford but do commute to the city centre so Palmerstown is on the way and could drop in.

Its actually hard to find EV installers of these things online. Let us know your company, might help future Googlers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I installed one myself a couple of weeks ago. There wasn't much to it really, just took about 5-6 hours (front and rear camera with hardwire kit). A lot of the interior trim comes apart if you just pull at it - you just need some patience and not force things.

The high voltage system will be nowhere near where you'll be installing dashcams, it's just the normal 12V stuff in most of the interior. The only real tricky part is routing cable around the side curtain airbags, but that's the same with any other modern car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've installed my own on every car.
    It's simply a USB into ciggy lighter and route the cables behind the lining.

Don't tell Halfords its an EV, tell them its a hybrid, they wont have to lift the bonnet and your battery is not under the bonnet by the way ;)

There are options for hard wiring the camera into the fuse board using a piggy back adaptor and Halfords sell this for a couple of euro too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks rolion I live in the middle of nowhere in Longford but do commute to the city centre so Palmerstown is on the way and could drop in.

Its actually hard to find EV installers of these things online. Let us know your company, might help future Googlers as well

It shouldn’t make any difference. You take a supply from either a USB port or you tap into the 12v system usually the cigarette lighter supply or some other supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I just used fuse taps - it keeps the wiring completely hidden and no permanent modifications are required.

I got a Viofo A129 Duo: https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOFO-1080P-Camera-Logger-Support/dp/B07DHKLH4F
    And they sell their own hardwire kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOFO-A129-Dash-Hardwire-Parking/dp/B07KZGM9LS/
    It allows it to detect when the car is off for switching to parking mode, and will shut down the camera once the 12V battery goes below a certain voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

ted1 wrote:
    It shouldn’t make any difference. You take a supply from either a USB port or you tap into the 12v system usually the cigarette lighter supply or some other supply.

Yeah they've told me they don't have insurance or the money to 'train' their staff not to plug it into the battery in the floor :D

Plus some rubbish about a UK 3rd party company they use who visits Ireland from 'time to time' that they might be able to fit me in. I rang the local Halfords and the guy didn't even know they didn't do EVs, let alone who this UK company was..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yeah they've told me they don't have insurance or the money to 'train' their staff not to plug it into the battery in the floor :D

Plus some rubbish about a UK 3rd party company they use who visits Ireland from 'time to time' that they might be able to fit me in. I rang the local Halfords and the guy didn't even know they didn't do EVs, let alone who this UK company was..

Just rock up, purchase in store and ask the guy to install it. The installer will know the craic , if he doesn’t then he is useless anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

In 2023, anybody know where in Dublin I could get a Viofo dashcam installed? What sort of price should I expect to pay for it and how long does it take?

Also, if I bought it online off Viofo, would Halfords install it for a fee, or does it have to have been bought from Halfords?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Start a new thread on it.....in the general motors forum. Makes no difference what fuel the car runs on.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭innrain

Actually back in 2020 Halfords wouldn't touch EVs. Something related to insurance. I know it doesn't make sense but...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Edited as unable to delete. Realised this is a Zombie thread updated so as my reply referred to the OP, I doubt the poster as of 2019 cares much anymore and has likely sorted their Install.

I was referring to those who have a Hyundai or Kia they can use this for a front camera install.

https://dongar.tech/products/hyundaikia

Post edited by Berty on

Advertisement