Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordered tablet amazon advice needed

Options
  • 12-09-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

I ordered a tablet from a shop in jervis st today,
    amazon fire 10, battery life 9 hours.
    I just read a review on a website, it says the lenova tab 4 10 inch
    has a battery life of 13 hours .
    Would it be wrong to cancel my order and buy the lenova tablet ?
    I,ll be mainly using this tablet for music or youtube video,s
    so the most important thing to me is the battery life and the time it takes
    to charge ther battery.
    i feel bad going back to a shop and cancelling my order.the shop does not sell the Lenova tab 4.
    Most 10 inch tablets i see only have 5 hours battery life.
    i,m just looking for a 10 inch tablet 10 hours battery life under 200 euros.
    The amazon fire is 189 euro,s ,
    the lenova Tab 4 is 199 euro,s from another shop in dublin .
    From what i can tell they only get the amazon tablet if someone orders one .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i just checked the only shop i can see that sell the lenova plus Tab 4 is komplett.ie .
    the one for 199 euro is not the tab 4 plus,
    its the lenova tab 4 , an earlier model.
    This is the one i want,

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/lenovo-tab-4-10-plus

quote; from laptopmag.com

Battery Life
    The Tab 4 10 Plus absolutely killed it on our battery test. Surfing the web at 150 nits of screen brightness over Wi-Fi, the battery survived for an impressive 13 hours and 6 minutes. That crushes the 9:40 tablet average, and neither the Fire HD 10 (9:04) nor the iPad (10:07) come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hey outside of the specs disparity , I can tell you from personal experience that I don't think I would buy an Amazon tablet again, the apps are limited , they try and limit you to their ecosystem by restricting casting etc. I would recommend going for any non Amazon tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hey outside of the specs disparity , I can tell you from personal experience that I don't think I would buy an Amazon tablet again, the apps are limited , they try and limit you to their ecosystem by restricting casting etc. I would recommend going for any non Amazon tablet

I'd agree with this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I found the Amazon tablets brilliant when the kids are younger, you can limit the amount of time and access and whatever, but all that's available now on normal tablets, I couldn't imagine the look I'd get from my kids if I was to give them an Amazon Fire now, the spoilt brats are too used to their S3's

i know the lenova4 tabplus is a better tablet,
    i ,d like to know is it ok, to cancel my order from the shop.
    i don,t know if the tab plus is avaidable to buy in a shop in dublin.
    Unless its on komplett.ie ,
    there seems to be 4 or more tablets called lenova 4 .

I only care about battery life ,and screen size .
    10 hours life, screen 10 inch,s .
    i,ll only be using this tablet for youtube and music ,podcast,s .
    i know theres a limited app selection on the amazon store .
    i,ll only be using 2 or 3 app,s on this tablet

Should i go back to the shop and cancel the order?
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/tablets/lenovo-tab-4-10-16gb-black-with-home-assist-speaker.html

price 199 euro with free speaker 12 hours battery life.

• Advertisement

Is that the same Amazon Fire 10 that regularly drops to £100 when Amazon have a sale? It's a great tablet for that price, but wouldn't pay €200 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

riclad wrote: »
    i ,d like to know is it ok, to cancel my order from the shop.

There's nothing morally wrong with it.

Only the shop can confirm whay their cancellation or returns policy is. Call them and ask.

I,m going to get the Tab 4 today, its 199 euro.
    16gig storage 10 inch screen, 10 hours battery life.
    i,m not waiting for a sale on any tablet,
    i,ll buy one today .i only buy tablets from a brick and mortar shop,
    So if theres any problem i can bring it back.
    Theres only a few left in stock ,so i,ll have to buy it today.
    Why do irish shop,s have tablets listed on their website,s
    when there,s none left in stock.
    And they have no intention of ordering any more units in the future ?
    why advertise tablets if they are not avaidable to buy in the store >

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Better deal on lenovo site

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/smart-tab#drStockURL

€169 and it's a newer model I think with a dock / speaker

That model says 8 hour,s battery life,on lenova.com
    the website for the shop i,m going to ,says the older model, has 10 hour,s battery life.
    i do,nt want to wait 2 days for an online order.
    i prefer to buy tablets in an shop, even if the online version is cheaper.
    i Presume i would have to pay a delivery fee too,
    thanks for the advice .
    I don,t care about having the latest model tablet , i,ll just be using it for music, and watching youtube video,s .

• Advertisement

It was more about future updates (Tab 4 starts on Android 7, M10 starts on Android 8 so will be supported longer / better CPU + chipset in M10 and bigger screen size (1280 x 800 in Tab 4 vs 1920 x 1200 in M10)

Delivery is free as far as I remember as I've ordered from their site before

On currys ,ie it says the tab m 10 lenova only has 10 hours battery life.
    The one i,m buying has up to 12 hours of battery life ,
    according to the shop website info.
    I, understand its not the latest model compared with the tab M tablet.

I'd personally go for the M10 as it's newer, will be supported with OS updates for longer and has better specs than the Tab 4...and it's cheaper by €30.
    10 hours of battery life is quite good for a tablet that size

Each to their own I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭chonix

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd agree with this.

as would I

The only way you're going to know battery life is via an independent standardised test, but even then it won't necessarily match your usage patterns.

I definitely wouldn't be relying on the battery life figures Curry's or Argos put for their devices. Someone has probably just copied and pasted them from somewhere.

On lenova .com ie, for tab 4 M Lenova
    it says 8 hours video playback,
    is that hd video, 720p , it does not say.
    i was going to buy the lenova p tablet , but on curry,s.ie

it says 11 hours battery life .
    No better than the one i got.

this is the one i got,
    tablet Tab 4 16gig , plus amazon speaker ,
    Cost 199 euro.
    I did not open the speaker box,
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/tablets/lenovo-tab-4-10-16gb-black-with-home-assist-speaker.html

i presume its the same as the one in the image above .

I also got a new black tablet stand, case combo .
    i have no intention of opening the speaker box,
    i,ll sell it or swap it for something .
    as new speaker ,never used .
    i ,ll just use headphones or the speaker on the tablet.
    it seems to me that different website,s have different estimates of battery usage for tablet,s .
    if its on lenova.com i believe it .

On harvey norman and power city.ie Tab 4 the battery life is listed , 12 hour,s or up to 12 hour,s .
    I used it for 14 minutes with wifi on, medium brightness , it went from 30 to 27 per cent on the battery meter icon .
    It was at 30 per cent when i turned it on ,out of the box.
    it has about 50 apps installed , 7.41 gig of storage space used .

I used the tablet for 3 hours last night, wi fi was on for 15 minutes.
    I watched video,s using vlc player , sd video, i uninstalled netflix app .The battery level went from 30 per cent to 24 per cent.
    So i estimate i used 2 per cent battery power every hour approx .
    i had the brightness set to 15 per cent ,which was fine for watching video,s .
    After 2 hour,s i went into setting,s , i turned on power saving mode .i maybe watched video,s for 2 hours approx
    and looked at various app,s ,settings and menu,s .
    i know its hard to estimate battery life since everyone use,s different app,s ,
    Going from the the data i have i would expect to get at least 15-20 hours battery life , if i just use it to watch video,s or play music.
    I understand anyone could just order a 10 inch tablet from an website and get a tablet with 32 gig storage 2gig ram and get one that has 20 plus hour,s battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can just put the play store on it .

• Advertisement

I,M sorry the title is misleading, i ordered a amazon tablet from a shop,
    i actually bought a lenova tab 4 16gig 10 inch screen from powercity.
    i emailed 3 shop,s , power city is the only shop i could find who have this tablet in stock.
    it,s not listed on the website, but i was told anyone who buys the tablet
    gets a free lenova smart speaker .Its compatible with alexa voice assistant.
    I was told there,s tab 4 tablets left in the finglas branch.
    i believe you can still install apps on the amazon tablet by downloading apk,s .
    i went to 2 shops to buy the Amazon tablet 10 inch 32gig and i was told there,s no tablet in stock .

i,ll sell the speaker or swap it ,trade it in for a laptop .
    Its still new in the box ,unopened .
    i have no interest in using a smart speaker .

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

You cnan install google play store on the amazon tablet if you wish.

the only reason i bought the Tab 4 is got better battery life than the amazon tablet.
    i installed vlc player on my tablet.
    i will latter go into settings, app.s and disable apps like word, excel which i will never use , in order to maximise battery use .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You can just put the play store on it .
    Not straight outta the box . You are talking about side loading or similar , which is fine completley doable but not natively supported , in fact its like 4 apks you need to sideload , so i would never say to someone whose skills you are unsure of , you can get the app.

The sooner amazon and google give each other access to cast on their devices and have the app store the better, this fractured market is needless.

The sooner amazon and google give each other access to cast on their devices and have the app store the better, this fractured market is needless.

Amazon are effectively subsidising their device with the low sales price with the intention that they might make money through selling Amazon content - that's why google isn't and won't ever be on it.

ends up being an ugly solution using it for android with play store imo as the amazon interface is ugly and there is the amazon bloatware

although you can easily improve matters a bit with this simple to use fire toolbox tool (no root required but do need to connect to pc)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/development/official-amazon-fire-toolbox-v1-0-t3889604

sort of crazy that people expect to get a good tablet for €100 or less when it needs a bigger screen area (more expensive) than a phone

better off spending 150 to 200 where you can get something with a much better experience e.g. mi pad 4, huawei m5 lite, lenovo tab 4 8 plus etc

Advertisement