Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible red flags in new job?

Options
  • 12-09-2019 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all, I started a new job today (cafe). There are a few things that dont sit right for me about it though. When I applied for the job yesterday on Indeed the place rang me 10 mins after I applied. They asked me would I start today. I was given no interview, no contract, no uniform either all day. Also they said I'll be on 9.75 per hour. Is the legal minimum not 9.80? Also the boss told me that they basically fiddle the tax for the workers. The placce is pretty grim aswell. One worker swept the bathroom floors at the end of the day and she swept all of the junk that was on the bathroom floor out into the cafe floor. In the pile of dirt was a big used tampon. Not even wrapped in tissue. Vile. And Im a woman but I thought that was unnacceptable. Should I cut my losses and tell them thanks but no thanks? Im a student so its a weekend job im after but that place is not sitting right with me at all. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think you've listed more than enough things to have you running for the door. Maybe use that weekend job as an excuse to politely exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fiddling the tax would be a massive big red flag - you are ultimately responsible for making sure your tax is paid correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

You should probably report them to fsai as it sounds like very unsanitary conditions to be serving food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Update rang them this morning and just told them sorry but no thanks I wouldnt be taking the job any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Well done!

Sounds all wrong to me. You'll find sth else soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

They should also be reported to Revenue as 'fiddling tax for workers' is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

blindsider wrote:
    Sounds all wrong to me. You'll find sth else soon enough.

Please god. Im feeling so anxious over it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TBH having worked briefly for a very reputable food chain the issues with the toilets are universal. Men piss everywhere but it's the ladies where you're going to find some really disgusting 'incidents'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

€9.75 per hour and fiddling the tax? There's not much tax to be paid on that. Most likely doesn't want most of his employees on the books. Run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Reppohc

fritzelly wrote: »
    Fiddling the tax would be a massive big red flag - you are ultimately responsible for making sure your tax is paid correctly

Thats not my reading of the act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Reppohc wrote: »
    Thats not my reading of the act.

You owe tax to the Revenue not the employer (well they also have contributions)
    Their fiddling aside it's your responsibility to make sure its paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

TBH having worked briefly for a very reputable food chain the issues with the toilets are universal. Men piss everywhere but it's the ladies where you're going to find some really disgusting 'incidents'.

Hey - as a man Im deeply offended at this, some of us take careful aim, and can even go out of our way to focus on targeting the dirty spots in the bowl to pass the time

begbysback wrote: »
    Hey - as a man Im deeply offended at this, some of us take careful aim, and can even go out of our way to focus on targeting the dirty spots in the bowl to pass the time

I aim to please. Can you aim too please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I'm going against the grain here.

This is what I would have done:

I would have written down all the problems. And come up with a few solutions.

I would have met the owner and said the cafe has a lot of problems, but these could be solved if it was managed properly.

I would ask to be made manager and given the ability to solve these X problems.

I would also tell the owner that the tax issues needs to be solved, as obviously it's not going to work long term.

I would also present a strategy for improving business - perhaps the menu needs to be revamped, some effort needs to go into social media, etc.

Turn a negative into a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The OP is looking for a part-time weekend job!

As admirable as that plan sounds, I doubt a new weekend staff member would be given the scope (or have the time or experience) for such wide ranging reforms!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The OP is looking for a part-time weekend job!

As admirable as that plan sounds, I doubt a new weekend staff member would be given the scope (or have the time or experience) for such wide ranging reforms!

You never know. It sounds like the place is being terribly run and desperately needs someone who cares. Perhaps she could be made the weekend manager or given some other title.

She had nothing to lose by having that conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

OMM 0000 wrote:

I would have met the owner and said the cafe has a lot of problems, but these could be solved if it was managed properly.

I would also tell the owner that the tax issues needs to be solved, as obviously it's not going to work long term.

I would also present a strategy for improving business - perhaps the menu needs to be revamped, some effort needs to go into social media, etc.

I presume you are taking the p**s or else you have never lived a day in the real world if you think any of that "advice" is in anyway helpful.

brendane wrote: »
    I presume you are taking the p**s or else you have never lived a day in the real world if you think any of that "advice" is in anyway helpful.

I'm a managing director in a software company.

I got here by being a problem solver and turning chaos into my advantage.

I have gotten promoted multiple times by doing almost exactly what I outlined in my post you think is a piss take.

By all means continue doing whatever it is you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Yeah there are things you can do in software, pharma or finance companies, but not in a f*cking coffee place that pays a minimum wage

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I'm a managing director in a software company.

I got here by being a problem solver and turning chaos into my advantage.

I have gotten promoted multiple times by doing almost exactly what I outlined in my post you think is a piss take.

By all means continue doing whatever it is you're doing.

How big is the company? How many employees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭go4it

le: bad post

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Yeah there are things you can do in software, pharma or finance companies, but not in a f*cking coffee place that pays a minimum wage

Are you trying to imply it's easier to fix problems in a software company, pharma company and finance company than it is to fix problems in a cafe?

I know this website has a lot of negative folk, but come on, it's comical so many people are agreeing with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Are you trying to imply it's easier to fix problems in a software company, pharma company and finance company than it is to fix problems in a cafe?

I know this website has a lot of negative folk, but come on, it's comical so many people are agreeing with you.

This thread is a perfect example of the 2 basic sides that we see on boards, here we have an op with a problem, and when one side, “the feelers” reads the op then they want to emotionally help the op, you can see this with comments of emotional support, and well wishing.

On the other side are “the fixers” they see problems and suggest solutions, usually extremely practical and logical.

No harm here, though the problem arises when “the feelers” start suggesting solutions - for example when they suggest reform of the penal system to extremity, reform of the welfare system, or mild forms of ethnic cleansing.

The dude suggesting a solution is a fixer, people should leave him alone, he intended no malice.

In all honesty yes it is. In software, pharma etc. you've a bunch of (generally) well qualified people aiming for a common goal plus the fact a good idea can be worth a lot of money. In retail, hospitality etc. you're much more likely to run across someone who is willing to see the company go to the wall than change their ways. It's why Gordon Ramsay has a sucessful TV career.

In all honesty yes it is. In software, pharma etc. you've a bunch of (generally) well qualified people aiming for a common goal plus the fact a good idea can be worth a lot of money. In retail, hospitality etc. you're much more likely to run across someone who is willing to see the company go to the wall than change their ways. It's why Gordon Ramsay has a sucessful TV career.

You might be right.

I still think it's worth a try though.

You might be right.

I still think it's worth a try though.

I'd agree if it was a full time job. While I might not have got to managing director level I found it was easy enough to get promoted if you were willing to take on the underperfoirming branches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Don't forget the bit where you work for free for a trial period. They love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Part-time work on minimum wage will have zero tax applied. Not even a cent of USC or prsi

Floor sweeping not ideal, but once the food preparation area is not part of it, there's no real issue, but a change of practice would be recommended.

Advertisement