Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate to find a job

Options
  • 12-09-2019 9:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I'm 22 and just failed the LC last when the results came out last month so I'm now enrolled in a QQI Level 5 course. As well as that I want to find a part time job on the weekends and I need to find one soon as I believe my parents are getting a bit tired of me going nowhere otherwise I'll end up homeless.

I send CV's daily but someone did say to me along with an interviewee in McDonalds that the lack of experience will hold me back. I've never worked a proper job and only volunteered during TY.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

Hi OP, I think your thread might be better suited to the Work & Jobs forum so I'm going to move it there. I'll keep it locked for now, so that the mods over there can review, so please be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What course are you doing?

Am I right in understanding McDonald's turned you down?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    What course are you doing?

Am I right in understanding McDonald's turned you down?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would you do an apprenticeship?

22 very late for LC what were you doing in between that?

Go to all local shops and business, loads are looking for staff.

Likes of Tesco, SuperValu etc. Would look for shelf stackers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Have you tried Dunnes and Tesco? Try get some volunteer work under your belt that will help your C.V

I work in construction and they are crying out for labourers, maybe look into getting a manual handling and safe pass cert, the money is fantastic and could possibly lead to a apprenticeship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

There are hundreds of warehousing jobs unfilled right now , you should be able to get evening and weekend hours no problem

Search the agency's or apply direct to the likes of lidl

https://jobs.lidl.ie/en/WarehouseOperative.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

In allot of ways FE courses are much better suited to lots of people as they're often continuous assessment based and require assignment work and portfolios to pass, if you work hard through out the year, ask for help when you need it and stay focused there is no reason why you would fail this course.
    Aldi and Lidl are great to work for, they offer really good wages, maybe make an appointment with a local guidance counsellor to discuss your cv, your local ETB will have one, your college will have one too.
    Id suggest that after finishing your level 5 course you do an apprenticeship for manual work, you seem like you would be suited to hands on, practical work that you can really engage in.

Advertisement