Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cattle being housed

Options
  • 11-09-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

doing a bit of fencing there cant believe how wet ground is here in west clare, was baling for a lad on Sunday he had everything in except for 3 animals , talking to a guy there today said hed all cows in .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

lab man wrote: »
    doing a bit of fencing there cant believe how wet ground is here in west clare, was baling for a lad on Sunday he had everything in except for 3 animals , talking to a guy there today said hed all cows in .

I was actually surprised how good ground is at moment, with the forecast looking good , hopefully it will lengthen the back end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Very much depends on where you are located,along the Western Seaboard we have had prolonged and heavy rainfall for a lot of days/nights over the last month.Frustrating as there is still a good growth going on but anyone with Suckler cows or heavy dry stock would have poaching going on and evident damage on heavy soils over last week or so.
    Other parts of the country are complaining about the slow recovery of growth from the drought conditions of mid Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Very much depends on where you are located,along the Western Seaboard we have had prolonged and heavy rainfall for a lot of days/nights over the last month.Frustrating as there is still a good growth going on but anyone with Suckler cows or heavy dry stock would have poaching going on and evident damage on heavy soils over last week or so.
    Other parts of the country are complaining about the slow recovery of growth from the drought conditions of mid Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

The rest of the country doesn’t realize how wet it has been in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

mayota wrote:

jey tis cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

We’ve still all the cattle out and we’re near Kilkee. Land is fine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Athdara wrote:
    We’ve still all the cattle out and we’re near Kilkee. Land is fine here.

your lucky I'd say round doonbeg is floating like kilmaley aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Weighed the Cows and calfs for the Beep scheme. I was shocked at the weight of some of the older cows, some of them were up as far as 900kg. The land around me wouldnt stand a chance with cows that weight and the floods of rain it made last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

On wet land best to sell all for the winter period buy back in Spring earely summer. To much work and mont been spend on animals , cutting , drying hay and silage. Storage. Fuel lost of animal condition over the winter period. Now for the big one... your time.. People dont value their time at all in farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

On wet land best to sell all for the winter period buy back in Spring earely summer. To much work and mont been spend on animals , cutting , drying hay and silage. Storage. Fuel lost of animal condition over the winter period. Now for the big one... your time.. People dont value their time at all in farming.

What the f**k else is an fellow to do. Most farms over the west are run by older generation as their kids have moved for job opportunities and education.

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    What the f**k else is an fellow to do. Most farms over the west are run by older generation as their kids have moved for job opportunities and education.

Relax for the winter and watch every other old fellow breaking their back for nothing. More likely losing money..Spain is nice also during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

your lucky I'd say round doonbeg is floating like kilmaley aswell

Was up at Loop head on Sunday. Few people zero grazing. Then other fields half cut for silage and some tracks left.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

dzer2 wrote: »

Relax for the winter and watch every other old fellow breaking their back for nothing. More likely losing money..Spain is nice also during the winter

"Maybe I like the misery".

Sorry I just couldn't resist although handlemaster has made a valid observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

22 deg C in Waterford today

"Maybe I like the misery".

Sorry I just couldn't resist although handlemaster has made a valid observation.

I think there is a big catholic suffer ring element to farming in ireland. I know my dad used to work like that. Work work work.... if there was a hard way and an easy way , it was always the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

There is a lad around these parts in his 80s that will not go in to his house before 9 at night he has been spoted parked up a sleep in his tractor down his fields in the evening's his son's are the same work work work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Spoke with a lad yesterday that housed 10 cows to keep the other 10 out grazing, said ground was getting trampled and grass walked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

mayota wrote: »

My own place on 31st August!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »

That's a bad leak you have in your drinker ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

No water charges there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Gave them the option of housing themselves here. Too warm to put them in, too wet to leave them out! Drained a few fields around the shed this summer so have them there & coming into the shed for water/comfort.

CIU8XVEh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Ground fine in Doonbeg dry ground dry, wet ground wet

nice at least it will keep the water bill down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Not surprising really - Athenry apparently had its wettest August ever!! with the likes of Claremorris not far behind, while the East coast escaped with more or less averge rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Gave them the option of housing themselves here. Too warm to put them in, too wet to leave them out! Drained a few fields around the shed this summer so have them there & coming into the shed for water/comfort.

CIU8XVEh.jpg
    Lovely black calf
    How do you find the board vents?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Lovely black calf
    How do you find the board vents?

Black calf is young, prob have him for winter. the TVR twins are there just in front, lying together as twins are apt to do!
    The Yorkshire boarding is a homemade jobbie so as you can see two fell off :pac: Just in the worst spot for calving too...But other than that they're great, though often throw a horse rug or old duvet over the calving pen gates on either side of the crush. Just keeps the drafts off any newborns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Ill be selling the last of them next week, August was the clincher for me, rain rain and more rain, good riddance and never again to farm, if i ever have children i wont be telling them anything about farming in case they get stuck with it, tractor and all the gear on donedeal and im going to have a grand handy winter for myself, monday to friday job and no slaving on the evenings or weekends, 3 local lads looking to rent different bits and a mechanic looking to rent the shed, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I think the amount of almost constant rain falling in N. Donegal would equal what you have had in the West; we may even have had more.
    Land is saturated in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭older by the day

I noticed this August from the charts, that the rain belts are coming in from the west, north Kerry upwards, they usually come from the south west, west cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Everyone seems to think that where they live is the wettest / windiest / worst off.
    It's like whenever someone sees a rat, no-one ever sees a small one... Sure it was as big as a cat I tell ya

Advertisement