Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Garmin to replace edge 1030

Options
  • 11-09-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've an ageing, albeit still good, edge 705. Thinking of treating myself to a new model but I see the 1030 came out in 2017 - relatively for tech a good bit ago.

Any have any idea what the refresh cycle with Garmin is? I think DC Rainmaker indicated about 3 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

530 and 830 only out this year, and I think the 1030 is getting some of the new features as updates.

But hard to know with Garmin - a lot of people were stung with the watches, buying the latest Fenix and then the 945 coming out a few months later with loads more features!

Element bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

Sorry for jumping in here, but how well, if at all, does the element bolt play with Garmin app? I'm already in the Garmin-sphere, all my running and cycling is logged to the Garmin app, and from there to Strava and komoot.

cletus wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in here, but how well, if at all, does the element bolt play with Garmin app? I'm already in the Garmin-sphere, all my running and cycling is logged to the Garmin app, and from there to Strava and komoot.

The bolt has its own app, but it is only used to configure the device and link to Strava.

I’ve never used a garmin, but have two friends who moved from garmin to wahoo and raves about it so much, it persuaded me to get one.

I’m not sure what you mean by garminsphere, but if you log everything on Strava then you won’t see any difference.

Sorry for jumping in here, but how well, if at all, does the element bolt play with Garmin app?
    I do it with a manual upload of the fit file via dropbox. You can also download it from the Elemnt app to your phone and then do the manual upload. Only issue is that it's browser only version of Connect.

I have a bolt - i think it was/ is better than the 520, but I think the 530 is better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how well, if at all, does the element bolt play with Garmin app?
    i would be extremely surprised if the garmin app supported anything but garmin devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Use this site to track when new devices will likely be released - http://gpsrumors.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

Aegir wrote: »
    I’m not sure what you mean by garminsphere, but if you log everything on Strava then you won’t see any difference.

Thanks for the reply. All I really mean is that I already use a Garmin device for running, and if getting another one for cycling, I'd like them to play together nicely.

Although I log everything on Strava, my first port of call is the Garmin app, Strava gets used to stay in touch with friend's training etc

Although I log everything on Strava, my first port of call is the Garmin app, Strava gets used to stay in touch with friend's training etc
    Non-Garmin rides/ activities don't feed into the likes of the first beat metrics/ body battery as far as I'm aware or can see (I've only upgraded to a 245 watch).

Garmin does let some non-garmin stuff sync into connect (e.g. TrainerRoad syncs activities into Connect, and outdoor trainerroad workouts onto devices), but again afaik the activities don't get included in the training load/ body metrics stuff. The Wahoo devices aren't one of them though - I don't know can you do it via Strava though. Given how slow wahoo are with updates (e.g. TrainerRoad outdoor rides, Ant+ Light support) I wouldn't be sure Garmin are the issue...

I've seen discussion on the TrainerRoad forum of people recording on their garmin head unit rather than syncing TrainerRoad indoor workouts to take advantage of those kind of features.

Advertisement