Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Dividend tax question

• 10-09-2019 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭ Amouar

Hi all,

I understand that the UK dividend tax is 0%, but what if a UK registered company is also trading in the German stock exchange. is the 25% german dividend tax applied in this case or since this is a UK based company the dividend tax would be 0% regardless of where the stock is traded?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ thegolfer

Amouar wrote: »
    Hi all,

I understand that the UK dividend tax is 0%, but what if a UK registered company is also trading in the German stock exchange. is the 25% german dividend tax applied in this case or since this is a UK based company the dividend tax would be 0% regardless of where the stock is traded?

Thanks

The dwt is applied based on the tax residence of the company, so if a UK tax resident comp then UK why applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭ Amouar

I assume that the first 2 letters of the ISIN code of each stock refers to the country where that specific company is tax resident. Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭ daheff

Amouar wrote: »
    I assume that the first 2 letters of the ISIN code of each stock refers to the country where that specific company is tax resident. Am I correct?

thats which country stock exchange its listed on is based.

In most cases I think you would be fairly ok to assume the company is also tax resident there....but you might get caught on some.

Advertisement