Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann from city center to carrigtohill

Options
  • 10-09-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

we bought a house in carrigtohill, but havent received the keys yet. we enrolled out kids in carrigtohill already because, why not.

now this week i can drive my kids to school, but my wife has to take the bus there to pick them up.

when i check the bus eireann website, a single adult ticket from parnell place to the garda station in carrigtohill is 2.80€. fair enough.

however my wife needed a return ticket as we still live in the city - at the parnell place station where she bought the ticket, she was charged 12 euro.

what gives?

she was told she cant buy her own single ticket for the return trip carrigtohill-parnell place. and so she had to buy it in the station in advance and it would be 12. is that even true?

why cant she buy 2 single tickets, one for parnellplace-carrigtohill, and one for carrigtohill-parnellplace for 5.60?

/edit: just saw that 5 year old also have to pay, so add 2 times 1.70 to that. still not 12.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

murfilein wrote: »
    we bought a house in carrigtohill, but havent received the keys yet. we enrolled out kids in carrigtohill already because, why not.

now this week i can drive my kids to school, but my wife has to take the bus there to pick them up.

when i check the bus eireann website, a single adult ticket from parnell place to the garda station in carrigtohill is 2.80€. fair enough.

however my wife needed a return ticket as we still live in the city - at the parnell place station where she bought the ticket, she was charged 12 euro.

what gives?

she was told she cant buy her own single ticket for the return trip carrigtohill-parnell place. and so she had to buy it in the station in advance and it would be 12. is that even true?

why cant she buy 2 single tickets, one for parnellplace-carrigtohill, and one for carrigtohill-parnellplace for 5.60?

/edit: just saw that 5 year old also have to pay, so add 2 times 1.70 to that. still not 12.

Get a leap card for best prices.
    Now that you've moved to the place, I'd suggest using Carrigtwohill as the spelling. Officially Carrigtohill (but I don't know anyone locally that uses that spelling).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

As above get a Leap card. Single fares €1.98 for an adult and 77c for a child during school hours.

No idea where the €12 for a return came from though. That's completely wrong.

Also I live in Carrigtwohill...welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

namloc1980 wrote: »
    As above get a Leap card. Single fares €1.98 for an adult and 77c for a child during school hours.

No idea where the €12 for a return came from though. That's completely wrong.

Also I live in Carrigtwohill...welcome!

how do you get out of carrigtwohill with the bus if you havent purchased a ticket beforehand somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭RINO87

how do you get out of carrigtwohill with the bus if you havent purchased a ticket beforehand somewhere?

I don't know the Carrigtohill bus route, but if it's a city bus, or any bus eireann bus for that matter, you can purchase a ticket from the driver.

As was said above, a leap card is the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Buy it from the driver. Forgot my leap card last time I was on the bus, and just purchased it from the driver.

• Advertisement

Buy on the bus from the driver or just get a Leap card. You don't need to prebuy tickets for buses

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

You can get the leap cards in easons, and load credit there, alot cheaper than cash when paying.
    Can also use on city bus, Cork-Carrigtwohill train afaik

As others said, when travelling from carrigtwohill you buy ticket on bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

As other posters have said get a Leap card. It's very cheap at €1:98. The same card can pay for multiple passengers I. E the kid. You pop the card on the reader of the ticket machine and driver deducts the cost. If you have an NFC enabled phone you can top the card up that way or you can top up at the bus station no need to go to Easons. Card can be also used on the trains to Fota, Cobh, Midleton etc...

No idea where the €12 came from!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's €12 day return to Midleton, the next town on the route. Maybe thats where it came from. Leap card only discounts as far as Carrigtwohill.

Is it really only €1.98 from the city to Carrigtwohill? Crazy markup when only slightly outside the Leap card zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Cheaper because city heavily subsidises public transport?

I'd also recommend the train over the bus if it's a viable option. Bus will get stuck in traffic at Tivoli. Train tends to be more reliable at rush hour.

• Advertisement

Cheaper because city heavily subsidises public transport?

I'd also recommend the train over the bus if it's a viable option. Bus will get stuck in traffic at Tivoli. Train tends to be more reliable at rush hour.

Yes I can vouch for this. Commute daily from Carrigtwohill to the city (have an annual bus/rail tax saver ticket). Train from Kent to Carrigtwohill takes bang on 16 minutes and is very reliable, could do with being more frequent though. By bus anything from 20-35 minutes depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

One could wish for a train station in the IDA...

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    One could wish for a train station in the IDA...

It's in CMATS so should open some time around 2085.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You'd think some of the factories could get together and start a shuttle during rush hour/shift changes.

Bus Eireann pricing makes no sense - most drivers are sound though and will tell you how to get the best fare.

Advertisement