Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter

Options
  • 09-09-2019 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I used to cycle a bit in summer then go the gym in the winter.
    I dreamed about having a job I could commute to by bike. Then I got one. Not as romantic as I thought it’d be scooting on one leg through buses at the pace of the lad I overtook a few minutes ago but he caught me at the lights and cycled around me like we are having some imaginary race where stopping at lights counts.

Anyway 10 k through Dublin city centre in a half hour, I could be 1 to sometimes even t2 hours by car.

It was all going great until this morning half 6 rain and desperation.

When I hit breaks hard my tyres which are summertime gator skins slide and I find that the back slides out into traffic direction.

Of course I realise I should take it easy but I reckon I need either new tyres for winter or a cheap throwaway bike to do me for the winter months.
    For most of the winter it’ll be an even shorter cycle anyway as far as I know probably about 6 k in and 6 k back.

What do people do tyrewise. I don’t really want to go fiddling with the bike. I’m handy with tools etc but I don’t want all the messing of finding out half way to work something isn’t tightened right etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Gatorskins are somewhat known for poor grip. Try Conti 4 seasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

brownian wrote: »
    Gatorskins are somewhat known for poor grip. Try Conti 4 seasons?

Is there much that can go wrong changing them myself, do people go the bike shop and get their summer tyres taken off and winter tyres added or is this something I should be doing myself

I'd say thats pretty much an essential skill. What if you get a puncture while out?

Simple when you know how I guess, practice makes perfect. In terms of what can go wrong maybe pinching the tube or some brands can be stubborn coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gators have a name but not much else. There are better "summer" tyres and in winter they're for Darwinists.

Get yourself a pair of these:
    https://geizhals.eu/specialized-all-condition-armadillo-road-tyres-a439923.html
    Or
    GP5000s for a little more grip but significantly less puncture protection.

Going from 28 to 32mm can also be a decent idea.

Yeah I remember doing it as a kid. I suppose I’ll wing it fairly handy once I get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Decent-quality tyre levers really help. You can use spoons, like you did as a kid, but...

brownian wrote: »
    Decent-quality tyre levers really help. You can use spoons, like you did as a kid, but...

Ha that made me smile, some of us still have the spoon we used as a kid in our bags :o

I have leavers but just can't let the spoon go, my dad would have used it too so in use since the late 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ideally you shouldn't use/need tyre levers. If you do use them, use them to take the tyre off...never use them to put the tyre on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

BDI wrote: »
    Is there much that can go wrong changing them myself, do people go the bike shop and get their summer tyres taken off and winter tyres added or is this something I should be doing myself

I have recently, keep making a balls of tubeless so thirty quid is pretty reasonable once you take into account goop and getting incredibly angry at the tyres/bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ideally you shouldn't use/need tyre levers. If you do use them, use them to take the tyre off...never use them to put the tyre on.

Ah now...whatever about the second part there's no reason not to use levers to take off a tyre. About 96.4% of people do I'd say.
    And for bonus big girl's blousiness I couldn't put the tyre on at all without levers. Obviously had it too soft growing up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Before you ditch the Gatorskins practice hard wet braking in a straight line. You should not crash when the tyres skid. This is an essential skill.

I've crashed my bike many times but only once braking, and that was because I didn't have the bike totally straight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also depends on the tyre. Something with reinforced sidewalls like a new Marathon plus is nigh on impossible to get on without levers, lighter race tyres and tyres that have been on the bike for awhile are a doddle by comparison.

Ah now...whatever about the second part there's no reason not to use levers to take off a tyre. About 96.4% of people do I'd say.
    And for bonus big girl's blousiness I couldn't put the tyre on at all without levers. Obviously had it too soft growing up!
    smacl wrote: »
    Also depends on the tyre. Something with reinforced sidewalls like a new Marathon plus is nigh on impossible to get on without levers, lighter race tyres and tyres that have been on the bike for awhile are a doddle by comparison.

Fair enough! point taken. I did say "Ideally" you should not use levers but i agree that some tyres are almost impossible to take off or put on without levers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fair enough! point taken. I did say "Ideally" you should not use levers but i agree that some tyres are almost impossible to take off or put on without levers.

Also worth remembering when choosing the tyre. I'd rather a tyre that got the occasional puncture but was easy enough to work with roadside than one that very rarely punctured but was an absolute bollox to get on and off. Kind of fond of Marathon Supremes and Durano plus for this reason, having changed both roadside in crap conditions with no major drama.

@BDI, I'd thoroughly recommend trying to change tyres yourself in the comfort of your own home rather than learning roadside possibly in the dark and/or rain. It isn't difficult but certainly benefits from a bit of practise.

smacl wrote: »
    Also worth remembering when choosing the tyre. I'd rather a tyre that got the occasional puncture but was easy enough to work with roadside than one that very rarely punctured but was an absolute bollox to get on and off.

+100%.. i use Conti 4000's for that very reason. (and because they are an excellent tyre)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, you can put marathon plus on your wheels, and they'll offer great puncture protection - but not necessarily from pinch flats/snakebites.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What pressure are you running the Gators at? In my experience, they are lethal in the wet at anything over 100psi but relatively fine around 80/90psi.

What pressure are you running the Gators at? In my experience, they are lethal in the wet at anything over 100psi but relatively fine around 80/90psi.

That’s something I’ve never thought of. About 100 - 110 I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BDI wrote: »
    That’s something I’ve never thought of. About 100 - 110 I suppose
    Before changing anything, drop the pressure to 80psi and see how they go.

Advertisement