Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 3 speed hub

Options
  • 09-09-2019 11:13am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here use one? Are they reliable or are there any issues bar the gear ratios I should be aware off.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do they hold up in the 1:1 gear? or does anyone have one. Is there much servicing due to them in the new ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I read before that the shifter tends to be the problem rather than the hub itself? Though i may have misunderstood the debate.

I did read a piece on them a while ago, possibly it was on Sheldon Brown's site. If I recall some discussion about breaking options with them.

I did read a piece on them a while ago, possibly it was on Sheldon Brown's site. If I recall some discussion about breaking options with them.

I think you can get a coaster brake version but the one I am looking at has disc brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My nine-year-old daughter's bike has a 3-speed Nexus hub. It seems ok, but she hasn't had it all that long. She has the coaster-brake version. I did a small adjustment of it, and I needed a mole grips. The barrel adjuster down by the hub was quite hard to turn by hand, which is the only thing I've noticed about it that I don't entirely like.

I can vouch for Sturmey-Archer three-speeds. They're really robust and reliable.

• Advertisement

I can also vouch for the Nexus 7-speed, as it's what my bakfiets has.

None of this is really any use to you.

Alas it is a bike I am saving for, options for single speed or a 3 speed nexus. Would be happy with the single speed so seeing are there negatives to the 3 Speed Nexus. It is a commuter, bare bones, so I am not putting any money into it, so just want to know how it holds up.

Based on my experience of the 7-speed Nexus, and apparent build quality of the 3-speed on my daughter's bike, I'd take a chance on the 3-speed. But even a three-speed I guess needs more maintenance than a simple single-speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone here use one? Are they reliable or are there any issues bar the gear ratios I should be aware off.

Mrs Rollingscone has a nexus 3spd (rim brake) going on 3 years now, living outside, getting used a couple of times a year. No problems as long as you put the odd but of lube on the linking at the end of the gear cable.

The deal with Nexus is far less maintenance, but when something does go wrong you're going to want a workshop

Advertisement