Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is large LCD TV repair possible?

Options
  • 09-09-2019 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Has anyone on boards got experience of large format LCD panel replacement/repair work...I'm wondering if the does the concept even exist?

I've been asked by a charitable concern to attempt a repair on a barely used (beautiful, still wearing it's protective tapes) 55" Sony Bravia LCD SMART TV - model KD 55XF9005 which as I understand is a serious top end telly.

Unfortunately the situation is that it was purchased & donated directly bnib about 8 months ago by a very kind parishioner but we have been unable to establish any receipt/insurance paperwork relating to the item.

I'm experienced at computer repair & refurb work & have also occasionally done iPad's & iPhones but this is the first flatscreen LCD of this size & type I've had to look at.

The issue is that there is a large developing crack starting in the top corner of the inner screen - there is no sign of any external physical damage whatsoever & the owners insist they did nothing obvious to cause the damage (I'm going to guess that someone in moving the panel around a room may have handled it incorrectly - these newer screens do seem to be overtly delicate & require very gentle handing in fact I have twice seen this kind of screen cracking on recent LG TV's one from a pal who did it simply trying to place it on his wall brackets)

How & ever - I see very little evidence out there of self-repair activities on LCD TV's online (unlike iPhones etc.)

I've decommissioned all sorts of exotic equipment in my work life but I'm finding it really mentally difficult to dump this TV in the PRF skip outside Power City just seems like criminal wastage :):)

any hints/suggestions welcome on my conundrum

Advertisement