Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become electrician without loosing my job

Options
  • 09-09-2019 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi All,

It may seem like a silly question to those who jumped right in as an apprentice or had some FAS dealings but for someone who is employed in a different discipline I found electrical field entry extremely hard and rigid.

I have tried checking practice and qualification part - Phase 1 to 7. However, they require full time attention and would not allow me to do part time while I'm employed with my current employer (non-electrical industry).

I then went to check for just theoretical qualification - Electrical Engineer course with DIT. Funny enough you have to be an electrician to enter as they axed the first year of study! Convenient...

Am I missing something? Are there any ways to become a qualified electrician or at least get half way there without quitting my current job?

Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not really it takes a 4 year apprenticeship to become an electrician and the in the job training is mandatory and logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Hi All,

It may seem like a silly question to those who jumped right in as an apprentice or had some FAS dealings but for someone who is employed in a different discipline I found electrical field entry extremely hard and rigid.

I have tried checking practice and qualification part - Phase 1 to 7. However, they require full time attention and would not allow me to do part time while I'm employed with my current employer (non-electrical industry).

I then went to check for just theoretical qualification - Electrical Engineer course with DIT. Funny enough you have to be an electrician to enter as they axed the first year of study! Convenient...

Am I missing something? Are there any ways to become a qualified electrician or at least get half way there without quitting my current job?

Thank you all in advance.
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

You’d be paid as part of your apprenticeship so could probably afford to leave your current job (maybe so so evening work or weekend if you were stuck - I know my son did this for a few weeks in the run up to Christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

You could start your apprenticeship and see if the qualified lads will bring you on their nixers at the weekend for some extra cash

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I then went to check for just theoretical qualification - Electrical Engineer course with DIT. Funny enough you have to be an electrician to enter as they axed the first year of study! Convenient..

That only applies to one particular course that is aimed specifically at electricians that want to do an easy 2 year conversion course in order to rapidly get off their tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

2011 wrote: »
    That only applies to one particular course that is aimed specifically at electricians that want to do an easy 2 year conversion course in order to rapidly get off their tools.

Hi. That's true, there are other courses. Having said that this is the most generic part-time electrician's course that I have available in Dublin that would accept me and is directly associated with electrician's career.

Thing is I wouldn't quit my job to become electrician as I stand. I am looking into adding basic electrician's skills on top of my current discipline rather than full-time employment right-away.

The best course I found for now to even figure out if becoming electrician is for me is UK based tradeskills4u. This private college allows to do 1, 2 or even 5 week training in any configuration preferable. Most of it is hands on and they do hand out City&Guilds certs on completion.
    Granted not much use from it in Ireland cert. wise but at least I can do it on my spare time without derailing my current career while acquiring some decent knowledge.

Any ideas? Once again I'm looking into either qualifying myself as electrician or just dipping my toes, whichever will give me most value without putting my current career on a tangent.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you want to be recognized as an electrician in Ireland there is no short cut. It’s a 4 year full time apprenticeship. What is your current discipline? Why study engineering if you want to be an electrician?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

2011 makes a valid point even if you qualified as a electrical engineer your still not an electrician. I think your barking up the wrong tree to be honest there isn’t a short cut.

2011 wrote: »
    If you want to be recognized as an electrician in Ireland there is no short cut. It’s a 4 year full time apprenticeship. What is your current discipline? Why study engineering if you want to be an electrician?

It is unfortunate. I wouldn't mind doing weekend, evening jobs and even use half of my holidays for full time as long as I could get some practice and clock some hours. Unfortunately that's not enough.

I am currently in IT but I am very interested in learning more of the electrical side - from wiring standards to basic troubleshooting. Even deciding what's best to be done at home.
    Granted I can get qualified electrician to do all (and I will when it comes to actual work) but I also have a keen interest in it myself.

I am seriously thinking of the UK hands on course. Grab few weeks off and just do it, seems like the only thing for me to get some know how before I decide to throw my career under a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

There no such thing as a person who dabbles in Electrics really it's a full time job or am i wrong bit dangerous to be messing in it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Oasis1974 wrote:
    There no such thing as a person who dabbles in Electrics really it's a full time job or am i wrong bit dangerous to be messing in it?

People do it all the time.

You can become a technician.

Most people just take a big jump into. They are qualified before you know it

Stoner wrote: »
    People do it all the time.

You can become a technician.

Most people just take a big jump into. They are qualified before you know it

Big jump is what it is. I'll drop some info if I manage to get myself to UK for few weeks hands on training. Might be useful to some...

Thanks all for all your comments, appreciate your time and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Big jump is what it is. I'll drop some info if I manage to get myself to UK for few weeks hands on training. Might be useful to some...

Thanks all for all your comments, appreciate your time and help.

Electrican is a regulated trade on the statute books. It also carries a lot of responsibility and ability. The reason there isn't a short cut in, is because of the risks involved.

LIT runs a very good night class called Electrical Systems for Mechanical Personnel. It's not a trade, but does give the skills you are looking for.

Figerty wrote: »
    Electrican is a regulated trade on the statute books. It also carries a lot of responsibility and ability. The reason there isn't a short cut in, is because of the risks involved.

LIT runs a very good night class called Electrical Systems for Mechanical Personnel. It's not a trade, but does give the skills you are looking for.

Looked up the LIT, thanks. Sounds good but it's in Limerick, that's unfortunately a no go for me.

Advertisement