Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed van question

Options
  • 07-09-2019 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm probably the 1 millionth person to ask this or something similar so apologies in advance.
    I was driving on the motorway and about 200-300metres ahead I notice the gosafe van.
    At the time my speedometer read between 135-140kmph.
    I hit the brakes straight away. As i passed the van within speed I noticed the side door open.
    My questions if anyone can help is:
    1. Is 200-300m within range?
    2. If the side door is open does that mean the camera is not operational? I know the inside is blacked out for lighting purposes so surely if the door is open this defeats that purpose and the operator was possibly setting up/finishing up?

Also I know my speedometer reads close to 10% above.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope you had time to check behind you before you braked.

There will be a letter in the mail, or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

biko wrote: »
    I hope you had time to check behind you before you braked.

There will be a letter in the mail, or not.

No one behind me.
    Second line I know that myself. I'm asking peoples opinions from experience if they had something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

you're not in range till your nearly on top of them,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm asking peoples opinions from experience if they had something similar
    I know but there is just no way of knowing for sure if they nabbed you or not.
    The general rule of thumb is that if you can see the van, you're probably in range.

orli na nh wrote: »

Thank you. Are we talking 20/50/100m. Sorry if it sounds silly 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The camera is supposed to be aimed at a precise 22 degree angle towards the targeted vehicle lane.

depends how near the driving lane the van is set up, but itll only catch you at roughly twice the perpindicular distance between the camera and the middle of the driving lane

depends how near the driving lane the van is set up, but itll only catch you at roughly twice the perpindicular distance between the camera and the middle of the driving lane

It was set up slightly higher than road level about 5 meters from edge of first lane

• Registered Users Posts: 45,291 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Was definitely over the limit by 10kph driving straight past one a few months ago. Been waiting for the letter but nothing so far.

Makes me wonder are they all actually switched on.

I'll probably get a letter now on Monday!

6 wrote: »
    Was definitely over the limit by 10kph driving straight past one a few months ago. Been waiting for the letter but nothing so far.

They say 3-5 working days as it is all automated now.
    Car speedometers generally read 10% higher than actual speed

I was 60/61 in a 50. Deserved a ticket. It was back in July so reckon I might be alright.

• Advertisement

What's the view on the side door open? Light inside the van etc etc
    Surely it defeats the purpose of it blacked out??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What's the view on the side door open? Light inside the van etc etc
    Surely it defeats the purpose of it blacked out??

They were using the handheld gun, got you with that I reckon.

fullstop wrote: »
    They were using the handheld gun, got you with that I reckon.

I dont know if I have been done. Passed the van earlier, sode door was open

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You've probably slowed just in time if your distances are right. Can't be 100% certain though. Went pass one doing 60 in a 50 three months ago (Roundwood) and nothing. Sometimes they've just arrived or are about to leave and are not monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I did the rough calcs before 're the angle they set up at and the narrow spread on the laser.
    You really have to be right at the van to be caught so no matter how late you think you saw him, it's still worthwhile braking - if safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Hi all,

I'm probably the 1 millionth person to ask this or something similar so apologies in advance.
    I was driving on the motorway and about 200-300metres ahead I notice the gosafe van.
    I hit the brakes straight away. As i passed the van within speed I noticed the side door open.
    2. If the side door is open does that mean the camera is not operational? I know the inside is blacked out for lighting purposes so surely if the door is open this defeats that purpose and the operator was possibly setting up/finishing up?

TIA

The range is very short, only a few car lengths at most.
    I'll post a pic of its range tomorrow.
    But bear in mind that the image will be of the camera being in the best possible position,

Ie. Positioned at a height above the road, offset a few metres beyond the hard shoulder into the soft shoulder, conditions that can't be met with the current setup with a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

And that depends if the operator is awake, or having lunch, or a piss, etc..

I dont know how true it it is, can anyone confirm?
    - they need to see a fairly constant speed to get a solid reading. If you are on the brakes (no matter what speed), then you are probably getting away with it.

My experience anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not always true.
    Was talking to a supervisor at an emergency services open day recently.

Between 20-50 m but it depends on the road,width, angle etc.
    It could be less but every road is different and they get you driving in both directions.

Said the margin is generous but couldn't be drawn on how generous!

whizbang wrote: »
    And that depends if the operator is awake, or having lunch, or a piss, etc..

I dont know how true it it is, can anyone confirm?
    - they need to see a fairly constant speed to get a solid reading. If you are on the brakes (no matter what speed), then you are probably getting away with it.

My experience anyway..

Aren't they unmanned?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Aren't they unmanned?

No, you must have a witness for the court case.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gosafe-operator-escapes-after-his-van-is-set-alight-26722085.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

The vans are very obvious really

To get detected would mean poor observational skills

• Registered Users Posts: 20,343 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The side door being open might save you. I was cruising along at 95k in what I thought was a 100k road. Passed the van and then discovered that I was actually on an 80k road. its a major routeway but not one I'm familiar with. There's a 2k stretch where it drops down to the 80 and backup again. I was not aware of this. Anyways, I never got a letter in the post. I checked previous addresses too in case it went to the wrong place and still nothing. I reckon that the side door being opened might have meant he only just arrived and I fortunately got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Hi all,

TIA

He was opening the door to stop you and give you a ticket but you were going so fast he couldn't get out in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No, they're allowed to but it's far from general.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Stop making excuses and just slow down.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rikand wrote: »
    The side door being open might save you. I was cruising along at 95k in what I thought was a 100k road. Passed the van and then discovered that I was actually on an 80k road. its a major routeway but not one I'm familiar with. There's a 2k stretch where it drops down to the 80 and backup again. I was not aware of this. Anyways, I never got a letter in the post. I checked previous addresses too in case it went to the wrong place and still nothing. I reckon that the side door being opened might have meant he only just arrived and I fortunately got away with it
    Sounds like the N11, nearby exit 11. Had cruise control on at the time, at 99kmph, honestly don't know if I was over the speed limit or not, so awaiting the letter in the post :/ Sneaky fcuker was hidden in a corner, so you'd never see it until it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

But it also means he couldnt see you till its too late..

I had always thought somebody had to be pushing the button in time...

I heard a story where an operator was busy munching away on his lunch time, when an irate feller hammered on the side of the van.
    ' Did you catch me ? he roars '
    ' I'm not sure,; whats your reg ? '
    ' 0x d555xx '
    ' Ok I'll check.. Here we go.. Record, Save, Print.,.
    Yep gotya now.

I wouldn't imagine the door being opened makes any difference, and I wouldn't imagine they're "blacked out", instead i'd say they're just tinted up for privacy/security sake.

I'd imagine the lens of the camera is well insulated from light inside the van. Otherwise the operator would have to sit for hours in darkness. Wouldn't make any sense.

There was a chap on here before that claimed the limit was 9kms over the posted limit, to get done (ie; 129 in a 120 means you're getting done, 128 means you get away with it) but obviously we don't know how true that is.

I passed a van before at 115 in a 100, at a constant steady pace (cruise control) and i wasn't done, but the van had it's lightbar on and flashing (which actually made me think it wasn't a speed van), so presumably was just setting up/leaving.

If your speed was 135 according to your speedometer, you might be okay. If it was 135 according to a sat nav, you're more likely to be nailed to the wall. Hitting the brakes might have saved you. I'd guess you'll be okay, personally, but let us know how you get on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I went past a speed van the other day about 30k over the limit, the van was on the other side of the road with the front of the van facing me, I presume it was doing the other lane as the camera is out the back or would it also detect me coming the other direction

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I went past a speed van the other day about 30k over the limit, the van was on the other side of the road with the front of the van facing me, I presume it was doing the other lane as the camera is out the back or would it also detect me coming the other direction

They can do both sides of the road at the same time (traffic coming to them, and going away from them) but can only do you via the rear of the van.

So if you see it facing towards you, you just slow down going by the rear window and flash to let everyone know.

Advertisement