Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

For the pros Met Eireann are hiring.

• 06-09-2019 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭ irishgeo

For the professionals out there who want to improve the Irish forecast or get to the bottom of the Shannon radar issues.
    Met eireann are looking for a
    A Hydrometeorologist (a flood expert). I didn't know such a thing existed.

And a normal forecaster.

Details on publicjobs.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭ pauldry

Id work for Met Eireann for free.

My whole day is spent looking at weather anyways.

Would have needed a Hydrometeorologist this evening. Absolutely poured for 10 minutes and flooded the whole garden even though the radar showed showers in Ulster only!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭ riffmongous

Looks more like a flood forecaster hydrologist than what's usually meant by a hydrometeorologist I'd say.

Like most ME jobs, money is crap for what they want you to have and Irish conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 29,344 ✭✭✭✭ NIMAN

Do you have to be accurate?
    Most of the stuff I've read on the ME site in recent times has been off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭ fritzelly

The country will see some sunshine, other areas will see rain, other areas will be overcast but generally nice, some strong winds expected along the west (throw in a few other meteorological terms and pointy figure at a map of Ireland)

Do I get the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭ PukkaStukka

Unless you're an existing public servant or working in certain public bodies, appointees start at the beginning of the incremental scales. Guess how I found this out :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭ riffmongous

Unless you're an existing public servant or working in certain public bodies, appointees start at the beginning of the incremental scales. Guess how I found this out :(

It's really limiting the applicants I reckon.. it's grand for Irish people maybe but anyone international (which is sort of necessary when flood forecasting isn't a big thing in Ireland) who has that much knowledge and experience will earn much more money by going to work for a consultancy or insurance company in London or the Netherlands

Advertisement