Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling and buying / Timing

Options
  • 06-09-2019 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey folks,
    A bit of advice needed here.

We're selling our house and buying another one. We're on sale agreed on both ends.

Obviously, our buyers want to move in as quickly as possible and we can only really buy the new house once the old house has been paid for by the buyers (money wired in to the solicitor account, etc.).

Our solicitor asked us if we had a place to stay between the sale and purchase as there might be a gap there.

What is you guys experience with dealing with that and being sure you were not on the street for a couple of days ?

We have a 5-year girl and a cat and we're not really keen on staying in a hotel having to manage the commute, the school, and what's with the cat during the day, and probably a dozen other issues I probably haven't thought about yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

It wouldn't be something I would want to do.
    Some banks won't allow it. Our bank insisted that our sale and purchase closed on the same day. Our solicitor was pushing for us to close our purchase a few days before our sale, but our bank refused, and I was glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Our solicitor asked us if we had a place to stay between the sale and purchase as there might be a gap there.

The answer is no you don't. Get the solicitor to do his job and have ownership change one the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    The answer is no you don't. Get the solicitor to do his job and have ownership change one the same day.

I moved 4 times as a kid and teenager, never had to spend a night elsewhere other than the old or new house. Sales/purchases always closed on the same day.

My parents did put our dog/dogs in kennels at the time just to save the hassle. Movers arent exactly careful with making sure the dogs are in a secure location when packing up the trucks.

Advertisement