Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could be reborn into a different era/country what would it be?

Options
  • 05-09-2019 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

If you could be reborn into and experience any generation or cultural experience from the past?

40's/50's/60's etc?

For me I'll say I would love to be reborn into an aristocratic family and experience what life was like in a dreamy period drama like Downton Abbey.

Notions I know,but shur look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

500 hundred years into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Young adult in:

- 60s London/Paris/L.A.
    - or 70s New York/Berlin
    - or late 80s/early 90s England for acid house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Tomorrow just after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Late 18th century Midlands England. The enlightenment era with the birth of modern scientific study and discovery.

Born in early 50s London/San Francisco to experience late 60s music revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Being one of the first humans to set foot on Tahiti or New Zealand during the Polynesian voyages would be something.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

KM792 wrote: »
    For me I'll say I would love to be reborn into an aristocratic family and experience what life was like in a dreamy period drama like Downton Abbey.

Dont sail on the Titanic or get called up in 1916!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

no thanks, but i'd be curious about the future

Even a Downton existence wouldn't be that fabulous. Apart from the whole no deodorant issue, I'd be bored stiff. Even aristocratic women received no more than a cursory education and their days were spent calling on people, reading or needlework, interspersed with dressing for various events, which included dinner. Anything else would have been considered coarse and unrefined at best, and common at worst. No personal freedom, sod all personal power, and deathly boredom was the sum of it, and that was if you're lucky.

I think I'd like a peek at the world in about forty years, if it lasts that long. Or at a push, maybe a short time in the Norman Rockwell version of 50's New England, but overall I think I'm very lucky to have come of age in the early 21st Century with all the wonders and privileges it affords us in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Late 18th century Midlands England. The enlightenment era with the birth of modern scientific study and discovery.

I think though that getting it in writing to be the mill or factory owner would be best otherwise grim.

As regards countries I'd like to have been Swiss or Belgian and know four languages right from an earlier age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

A few hundred or thousand years in the future, id love to know how technology will progress and what else will be changed because of it. Also would love to know how music will change and evolve in the distant future, also peoples politics and views, I wonder how they'll look back on us and think of us as small minded, like everyone could be vegan and think of us as primitive and savages for eating meat.
    I read somewhere that people in the not so distant future will live into their hundreds so I wonder what the life expectancy will be in a thousand years from now. I also read there'll be only one race as all races will have integrated with each other, we will merge with technology, have a cure for aging and collagen breakdown and be much taller than we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd love to have been 18 in 1980 but with time travellerish access to modern day internet, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Bhutan. 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

New Year's Eve 3000 - New New York

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

Simi wrote: »

I’m sure the cryogenics will work out will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

Probably early 80s as a young adult just to experience the trauma the gay community went through. So many LGBT people are ignorant of the **** that happened and it would be poignant to experience it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PainInTheArse

Simi wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

500 hundred years into the future.

In New Atlantis?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The future would be a tricky one. All visions of the future people have come up with in the past have been wrong in some fundamental respect. And that's if the future keeps happening in the sense of progress. It could go dark ages and you'd not want to live through that. Though the actual dark ages didn't last particularly long and it was localised.

The past? Great if you are born into a circle that is in the forefront or connected to the cool things of the past. So for example coming of age in 1960's London sounds great, but the swinging crowd were a small percentage of things. The vast majority were in 9 to 5's clogging up offices and factory floors, or were "swinging" for a year or two of university, if your parents coulf afford that luxury. Ditto if you were born during the Enlightenment. That was an even more rarified crowd. Chances are far higher that you'd be a peasant tilling the land or cluttering up a dank workshop in a smelly town.

Today, being born in the west is a lottery win in many ways, so I'd be dubious about throwing the dice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

My choice for the past would be to resolve historical questions. So I'd go with Mesopotamia since there's so much stuff unknown that I'd love to know.

Also Ancient Israel since it's had such an influence on the world, but there are interesting gaps especially in how the religion developed and the myths came together (e.g. the Israelites probably adopted the Exodus story from a group they absorbed, what was Yahweh's original name and function, etc).

In reality though I'd love to see the far future. Do we really settle other planets or is it just too difficult etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Dallas, Texas, 1963.

60's or 70's west coast America driving too and around the surf hotspots, but saying that could get drafted into the Army, or 80's America watched many an American sitcom and wished i had their house and shopping malls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'd love to have been 18 in 1980 but with time travellerish access to modern day internet, lol.
    Ben Nevis in the Grand National. 40/1. Maybe double it up with West Ham to win the FA Cup. You'll be sorted! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Dublin maybe 20-30 years ago

Buy up all the land around the docks/IFSC

Sit back and count the loot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Travel back to when Newgrange was built. Chisel a note on one of the rocks "Those Anglo boys aren't to be trusted". Words that would have served the people of Ireland well for thousands of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

KM792 wrote: »
    If you could be reborn into and experience any generation or cultural experience from the past?

40's/50's/60's etc?

Make sure you are born male. Remember that Mary couldn't inherit the fancy Abbey because she was only a female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Qrt wrote: »
    Probably early 80s as a young adult just to experience the trauma the gay community went through. So many LGBT people are ignorant of the **** that happened and it would be poignant to experience it!
    You could say the same thing about modern feminists who think they are living in Saudi Arabia like conditions and the patriarchy is to blame for everything. My mother was unfortunate to grow up in a time where she didn't progress beyond primary school. The nuns begged her mother to let her go to secondary but she refused and my mother was put to work to bring in money. Shocking to think it's not that long ago. There's only a 19 year age gap between my mother and oldest brother and not only did he go to secondary, he also went to university. Up to the 70's women had to give up work in some jobs when they got married.

I don't think there is any time in the past that I'd like to live in but I'd love to live in a country that doesn't have such sh!te weather. I'd move but I've done the travelling thing and I always missed Ireland and Irish people. If I could tow Ireland a bit nearer the equator I'd be happy :D

I find talking to old people really interesting. There are people alive now who lived without electricity or running water, all things we take for granted. People younger than me can't understand how I grew up without the internet and look at me like I'm a dinosaur when I tell them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Dallas, Texas, 1963.

Dallas,Southfork 1979.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

The year 3000

Not much has changed, but I've heard they live underwater.

I also met your great granddaughter, and she's pretty fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Would I get to bring my knowledge of today with me?

Advertisement