Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ag science course??

Options
  • 05-09-2019 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I’m wondering could anyone shed some light on what’s on the new course for the 2021 lc ag science exam, what’s changing?Would it be possible to teach myself ( I’m doing bio already )& in 5th year this year in Dublin. Thanks !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it open to all candidates? If it's in a pilot phase it won't be.
    Email the Dept. and ask for a syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mlocxc15

spurious wrote: »
    Is it open to all candidates? If it's in a pilot phase it won't be.
    Email the Dept. and ask for a syllabus.

Thanks, Will do, but it should be open as it’s only been updated, any ag science students/ teachers here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »

Yes, it is a new syllabus, it's not a pilot project and is available to all students. There is a project like in the old syllabus but the details haven't been released yet. They are due in September/October.
    Mlocxc15 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m wondering could anyone shed some light on what’s on the new course for the 2021 lc ag science exam, what’s changing?Would it be possible to teach myself ( I’m doing bio already )& in 5th year this year in Dublin. Thanks !

There's very little overlap between the new course and the biology one. A lot of the biology is gone. There is one text book available for the new specification but I don't want to be accused of shilling. I'm sure you'll be able to find it if you google it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Given there's only the one choice (as yet at any rate), difficult to accuse anyone of shilling! :pac:

It's about time that course got an overhaul, the whole face of farming has changed since it was written.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is a new syllabus, it's not a pilot project and is available to all students. There is a project like in the old syllabus but the details haven't been released yet. They are due in September/October.

There's very little overlap between the new course and the old one. A lot of the biology is gone. There is one text book available for the new specification but I don't want to be accused of shilling. I'm sure you'll be able to find it if you google it.

Do you think it’s doable by myself with the odd few grinds, I had a flick through the new book, a vast course but it appeals to me..

Would using previous exam papers be of much help then?
    I thought it was just a few new / updates topics such as technological advances?

Do you think it’s doable by myself with the odd few grinds, I had a flick through the new book, a vast course but it appeals to me..

It's impossible to say, not knowing your abilities, what kind of a project it will be, how it's going to be assessed, how the subject will be examined...... the SEC won't release a sample exam paper for at least another year. I think the new JC Science sample paper was released November last year and the new syllabus was examined in June this year for reference.

Arguably you can teach yourself any LC subject (and many do successfully) but it can help to have a teacher for structure and for stuff you need to ask questions about, or may not be aware of.

Anyone else have any info??? Thanks all

Anyone else have any info??? Thanks all

It’s a new syllabus, what more do you want? People can’t give you information that doesn’t exist

It’s a new syllabus, what more do you want? People can’t give you information that doesn’t exist

Calm down

• Advertisement

Calm down

I am calm but you’ve been given the information that exists. You can’t be given what isn’t there no matter how many times you ask.

Advertisement