Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Bike Light and Combo Mount

Options
  • 05-09-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Have done as much due diligence as I can reading old threads, most are more than a year old so I'd prefer some current opinions if that's okay.

I had been using a Chinese Amazon special 'Commuting' last winter, it was actually pretty good for the cost but requires a separate power bank. I've gotten a bike with Di2 in the intervening period and i can't really fit the power bank anywhere. I've also gotten a bike computer which adds to the clutter.

TL;DR I'm looking for a light suitable for commuting 30km and double that when I feel the urge during the week (largely on back roads and the associated potholes).

One that comes with or is compatible with a mount for a Wahoo Element Bolt.

I'm going to cry if I don't stop spending money on bike related stuff soon, by the same token I had made a promise to myself that I'd stop buying cheap; and buying twice consequently.

The options are bewildering.

I would really like to spend less than €50. But could be convinced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I use a V9C-200 as an intermediate light. Got caught on the Scalp Rd the other night past dark and while it wasn't as bright as Id like it got me by. Mostly I use it "to be seen" in slow strobe instead of "to see".

Thats where the V9C-400 comes in. Its brighter again and should be plenty "to see". 2.5Hrs runtime at max brightness do you? Build quality is vgood and when it runs low it goes into limp mode instead of just cutting out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Headlight-Professional-Batteries-Resistant/dp/B07427H71G/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=V9C-400&qid=1567703600&s=sports&sr=1-4

Assuming your Wahoo mount is using the standard GoPro mount point on the underside there are light adapters like this available. This one is rounded so youd want to find a squared off one.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Light-Mount-Holder-for-Garmin-Bryton-GPS-Computer-Mounnt-with-Gopro-Adapter-/112451801269

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

Thanks for that, I had somehow missed the fact that the light is mounted with a strap on those.

I had seen some combo mounts for mad money and assumed you need a specific light to fit to the gopro mount not realising it was an extra fitting again. That clears things up a bit.

I'm basically going to be reversing my commute to where I'll be cycling real backroads at night, rather than cycling towards built up areas.

I'll probably spring for the higher lumen one, 2.5 should be okay typically, I would prefer not to have to charge at work constantly and that'd just about work.

Is something that cheap likely to be durability, some of the lights I've been looking at are eye wateringly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unfortunately youll pay €50-80 just for a dual Wahoo/GoPro mount. Probably best to bar mount a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

ive a K-Edge with a Go PRo mount underneath which I use with a Cycliq Fly12 and another proper light (thinks its a Electron F450) which i use for night spins. also have a bar mount if needed for Go Pro and lights. can't fault the K-edge mount for the garmin and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

All sorts of light mounts here,

https://www.r3pro.co.uk/collections/cree-light-mounts

When I did the 24HR TT, I used one of them to mount a lezyne light under my Garmin on a Barfly dual holder, the light was the loaded version (optional extra battery pack for extended range) with the battery on my stem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

TL;DR I'm looking for a light suitable for commuting 30km and double that when I feel the urge during the week (largely on back roads and the associated potholes).

Really the best option for this is a dynamo setup. You'll get set up with decent lights for under €150 via Rose Bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭saccades

Exposure strada with stem mount.

Ignore that budget ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

saccades wrote: »
    Exposure strada with stem mount.

Ignore that budget ;)

I just googled that. The war department would have a fit.

I affixed the power bank of my current light to the top of the stem and wrapped it around the junction box. I suspect its going to rattle but I'll get out now and give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,345 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have the cycliq duo mount - lasting much better than the battery life of cycliq fly 12 tbh!

Advertisement