Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hedge/Flower Bed

Options
  • 05-09-2019 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi There

I am going to plant a laurel hedge from one of my piers to the ditch at the front of my house. It will run through a corner of my lawn. So what I was going to do was take the corner and put down paving brick as a border, to section it off.
    I would then plant the hedge and put down black therm and a nice stone on top.
    Then next year I may plant some shrubs in it through the stone and therm.

Few queries on this:

Is now a good time to plant laurel? I will not plant very young laurels.

Should I spray the grass in this area before putting down the therm, or will the therm eventually kill off the grass over time? Or do i have to dig up all the lawn/grass in this area?
    I want to prevent weeds/grass growing up through the therm.

Would love some advice

JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Slice off the top layer of turf otherwise your levels will be wrong - if the terram and gravel goes on top of the grass, you won't be able to mow and the gravel will go everywhere.

You can plant potted laurel whenever you like but it's more expensive that way, for bareroot you need to wait until mid-Oct.

Advertisement