Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Rack with No Hitch

Options
  • 05-09-2019 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All

I recently bought a new mountain bike, as did my missus.

I'm looking for recommendations for car bike racks (for 2 bikes) that don't require a hitch.

I have a 08 Carolla. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

coffey87 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm looking for recommendations for car bike racks (for 2 bikes) that don't require a hitch.

Do you have roof bars? What style of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coffey87

Its a 08 Carolla Saloon and I do not have roof bars no

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

call into the likes of halfords who have a range to view, id suggest roofs bars with bike mounts. End of summer sale in halfords or have a look on adverts for some second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

I got a boot carrier on Micks Garage .ie , works great, easy to install/remove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Its a 08 Carolla Saloon and I do not have roof bars no

Should be able to pick up a boot mounted one easily enough. As posted above, end of season now so you might be able to get one cheaper.
    If your Mrs has a standard female frame, low crossbar, you might need an adaptor so it will fit on the boot rack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

With a saloon, a boot rack is fine, if a bit finicky. They get a bit hairy with a hatchback etc

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Saris Bones would be my recommendation. Always some for sale on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Micks Garage have a tool to select what'll work with what car. Saloon you should be grand, hatchback as cletus said can be a minefield. They have issues ranging from plastic spoilers to how the window glass is bonded. I've a Ford Focus and the Saris Bones was the only one that would work and even that at the time wasn't actually officially sanctioned.

The Bones is a good solid rack, though chunky. It's expensive new though, so I'd imagine you'll get much better bang for your buck with something simpler

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Saris bones for me as well. Got the 3 bike one and no regrets. Easy to use and tidy enough when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coffey87

Thanks All

The Saris Bones looks good, will price around and see what I can get. Must check out Micks Garage too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/saris-bones-black-3-bike-rear-cycle-carrier

Would appear to be at its 'sale' price in Halfords at the moment, no idea how much it is anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I got one of the cheaper one's on micks garage a few years ago. It did the job, but did end up marking and/or scratching at contact points. Albeit that I am much less prone to wash my car than my bike!

If I was going boot mounted again, I'd go Saris Bones. I did end up getting roof bars from Mick's Garage and that set up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi All

Roof bars are you he only sensible option. Those racks that you mount on the hatch door dent and scuff the hell out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

cletus wrote: »
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/saris-bones-black-3-bike-rear-cycle-carrier

Would appear to be at its 'sale' price in Halfords at the moment, no idea how much it is anywhere else

At < 120 new that's great value. I have one that I picked up second hand on here several years ago, and going back over PMs I'd say I paid 90 quid for it at the time, so new for that is hard to beat. Evans are 111 GBP so probably more expensive by the time you land it, and Wiggle are 127GBP to Ireland, and you'd have to wait, where (depending on your local store) you might have it today from Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

grogi wrote: »
    Roof bars are you he only sensible option. Those racks that you mount on the hatch door dent and scuff the hell out of the car.

Have the saris bones 3 for my GTI and i'm fussy about keeping my cars in good condition. Zero scratches, dents or scuffs on my car after carrying bikes on it for the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd also add that to get the correct fittings for the roof bars when we scrapped the original car, was nearly getting on for half the price of the complete roof bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

I must say I've had no trouble with the Bones in that respect. Ours has carried 3 bikes - and not weight weenies either - across France several times with no issue. There are big rubber feet the size of your fist which form the contact points so the pressure is spread over quite an area. The metal hooks on the straps could be an issue I suppose, but we've never had any scuffing there either

Advertisement