Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrads/Masters to get ahead of looming next recession

Options
  • 04-09-2019 10:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

I’m currently a mid 20s Quantity surveyor in Dublin. Pays well enough at €60K and I’ve just about 5 years experience.

I’m trying to future-proof myself against the next downturn that will inevitably come (and also have an escape plan to get out of construction or start my own thing)

Are there any construction professionals on here who done the same - masters or postgrads for 1 year (couldn’t see myself doing any more than that) part time to turn to after the last downturn in 2009 onwards?

Don’t like quantity surveying at all anyway to be honest. Would rather get out of it before I’m 30 which is optimistic. And it wouldn’t be a career in construction industry full stop.

I’d be interested to hear any recommendations on courses online or that through the universities here. I’ve looked most of them up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What would you like to work as?

What are you interested in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Business, but not accounting or financial services - not more numbers!!!

Been looking up the SOLAS 2018 report on jobs in demand and the skills shortages in ireland. I figured that's a good place to start then decide on post-grads from there.

I had a go messing around with programming, but didn't like it at all, so I could'nt see myself in software engineering or developing.

My main fear is that if I do change industries will I have to take a step down in salary no matter what direction it is - as I'm obviously new to that area....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Could business analyst / product manager work for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Actually liked the look of business analyst. Just a question of which Dublin University to do it through.

Friend done a masters through Open University etc and said it was a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Join the civil service, alright it would half your salary its ressison proof.

• Advertisement
Advertisement