Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applicants with fluency in the Irish language Stream

Options
  • 04-09-2019 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

Appreciate if this question has been asked before?

Hoping to start a thread on the subject if possible Moderator?

I am looking for advice regarding this way of applying for a Garda Trainee i.e via 'applicants with fluency in the Irish language Stream'.

Is the test difficult? What is the standard?

Any advice, tips re learning et cetera?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DKGD2019

OL16 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Appreciate if this question has been asked before?

Hoping to start a thread on the subject if possible Moderator?

I am looking for advice regarding this way of applying for a Garda Trainee i.e via 'applicants with fluency in the Irish language Stream'.

Is the test difficult? What is the standard?

Any advice, tips re learning et cetera?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SL

I applied through fluency in Irish, Both stage 1 & 2 exams are in English, the Irish only kicks in when you’ve passed stage 2, they send you your OOM within the Irish speaking applicants, you send them a self assessment of your Irish (it’s giving yourself grades for different aspects) and then you will get the email inviting you to the interview which is all in Irish too, the competencies are all in Irish also so the standard must be good to get through the interview as Gaeilge. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OL16

DKGD2019 wrote: »
    I applied through fluency in Irish, Both stage 1 & 2 exams are in English, the Irish only kicks in when you’ve passed stage 2, they send you your OOM within the Irish speaking applicants, you send them a self assessment of your Irish (it’s giving yourself grades for different aspects) and then you will get the email inviting you to the interview which is all in Irish too, the competencies are all in Irish also so the standard must be good to get through the interview as Gaeilge. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thanks so much for repy and info. contained there in.

Sounds tough! I failed Irish in my leaving and it's years back now.

Maybe I'd be better off to repeat Irish? Not sure if I can repeat just 1 subject? Don't know if I could get up to the standard for the Irish stream otherwise? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Hi,

Maybe I'd be better off to repeat Irish? Not sure if I can repeat just 1 subject? Don't know if I could get up to the standard for the Irish stream otherwise? :confused:

Can I assume that you are not currently able to speak Irish in that case? If you are not fluent as is, then applying under the Irish language stream is probably a waste of time at the moment. If you want to become fluent enough to apply under the Irish language stream then there are plenty of ways to go about that depending on where in the country you are, and repeating the LC is probably not the best way, though you can sit one subject if that is something you would like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DKGD2019

Hi,

I had my interview yesterday and it wouldn’t be possible to do if you just had alright Irish, they didn’t say a single word in English the whole time...fluency in Irish would be recommended to apply through that stream.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Can I assume that you are not currently able to speak Irish in that case? If you are not fluent as is, then applying under the Irish language stream is probably a waste of time at the moment. If you want to become fluent enough to apply under the Irish language stream then there are plenty of ways to go about that depending on where in the country you are, and repeating the LC is probably not the best way, though you can sit one subject if that is something you would like to do.

Hi, yes although I can speak some Irish I wouldn't be fluent. I will have to look at either repeating Irish and or becoming fluent in the language. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• Advertisement

Hi, yes although I can speak some Irish I wouldn't be fluent. I will have to look at either repeating Irish and or becoming fluent in the language. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Just repeating Irish in school is probably not enough and is probably not the most effective way to go about becoming fluent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Why do you want to apply through the Irish stream if you haven't got fluent Irish?

Witcher wrote: »
    Why do you want to apply through the Irish stream if you haven't got fluent Irish?

I was wondering, hence my original question, whether it would be better to just repeat Irish.

I was trying to ascertain the difficulty of going the route of the Irish stream.

I thought maybe I could get up to speed to such an extent that i could give the Irish stream a go but obviously a very high level of Irish is required. So I guess repeating Irish, if I can repeat just 1 subject? would be the best route pr only route for me!?

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Just repeating Irish in school is probably not enough and is probably not the most effective way to go about becoming fluent.

I guess I need to repeat Irish, if I can? Pass it and apply via the traditional route and not through the Irish stream. As I just mentioned I was trying to ascertain the difficulty of an application via the Irish stream (and if I could maybe get up to standard even without a leaving cert Irish).

if I can repeat just 1 subject?

Yes, you can take an exam in just one subject.

• Advertisement
Advertisement