Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet Buying

Options
  • 04-09-2019 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting a tablet so I can do some surfing and Udemy courses during free time without having to lug a laptop case about with me.

Is the tablet market declining or am I not mixing in the right circles?

I'd prefer for a Android device and sizewise anything between 8" and 10" wout be fine.
    Other than that, I am open in terms of specification.

Xiaomi have a Mi Pad 4 which tech advisor have in their top 10 - my handset is a Redmi Note 4. However, this is not an official device - i.e. it is not a global device and runs on MIUI instead of android.

Any other recommendations out there for what I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

If you had the budget, Samsung Tab S4 which would set you back about €620 euro

The Tab S3 is still a good piece of kit also.

there is an Xiaomi eu rom for the mi pad 4 but it's not sold with it on it. you'd need to install it.

but you can leave it on the one that it comes with (has english) and install the play store in a few minutes.

there is no real need to go beyond that.

it's a good solid tablet with good battery life.

none of the other ones from the decent tablet manufacturers (Huawei, Samsung, Lenovo) provide the same power and quality for the same price.

MIUI is android by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yip - aware that MIUI is based on Android as I've got the Xiaomi phone.
    Budget is for around €275 max.

What is now the optimum size for a tablet? The Mi Pad Plus has a 10.1 screen whereas the std version has an 8" screen.

Yip - aware that MIUI is based on Android as I've got the Xiaomi phone.
    Budget is for around €275 max.

What is now the optimum size for a tablet? The Mi Pad Plus has a 10.1 screen whereas the std version has an 8" screen.

Depends what you want in terms of size tbh. Individual thing

• Advertisement

Just been reading up. Yip - the Xiaomi is definitely getting some good reviews.
    There is no point going for an LTE version as it does not have Band 20 plus I'll normally be using in places with WiFi access.

Is the lack of a AMOLED screen a drawback with this device?

For the price, it seems like a good option. Do you know of any recommended sellers which would supply it with the EU ROM installed?

Just been reading up. Yip - the Xiaomi is definitely getting some good reviews.
    There is no point going for an LTE version as it does not have Band 20 plus I'll normally be using in places with WiFi access.

Is the lack of a AMOLED screen a drawback with this device?

For the price, it seems like a good option. Do you know of any recommended sellers which would supply it with the EU ROM installed?

It's a good bright screen so don't see it as a disadvantage.

Larger plus version has LTE in every version.

Not aware of any seller shipping with EU ROM.

Find a good guide and do it yourself. (After waiting time period to unlock bootloader)

I think I'll go for the 8". I've got a 15" laptop which makes the 10" non viable due to its lack of portability.

I've had a quick scan at the Huawei MediaPad M5 8, but unsure about it.

Advertisement