Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to invoice a foreign company for 6 month IT contract in The Netherlands?

Options
  • 04-09-2019 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a software engineer based in Dublin and have just been offered a 6 month contract in The Hague from October 1st. I only recently arrived back in Ireland after several yeas living abroad and don't have my own company.

The contract may or may not be renewed after 6 months so I'll assume for now that it'll be just the 6 months.

I will be paid by a recruitment agency based in Belgium and they are looking for details of my company, so I'm wondering what's the best thing to do.

- Should I set up my own company or use an umbrella service?
    - Are there any implications being based in Ireland and invoicing an EU company for IT services?
    - How much could I expect to pay for an umbrella service?
    - Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 travstrong

Will you be commuting back on forth on a weekly basis or based full-time in the Netherlands or some mixture of the two?

If the first case is true, you may qualify for Transborder relief, although there are various stipulations.

I was in a similar situation and went with a locally based umbrella, one of the reasons was that Irish umbrellas didn't want to touch any complex cross border situations, although in hindsight they had a point as I'm finding out now

I've less experience with ltd companies but I imagine you would need to pay VAT at the local Dutch rate plus anything else required there.

The EU has a good site for transborder workers

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/work-abroad/cross-border-commuters/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

travstrong wrote: »
    Will you be commuting back on forth on a weekly basis or based full-time in the Netherlands or some mixture of the two?

Hi thanks, I won't be coming back every weekend but probably over and back every 2 to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi thanks, I won't be coming back every weekend but probably over and back every 2 to 3 weeks.

Who will be picking up the tab for the travel costs: place of work issue may arise with Irish revenue if you expense them in your tax returns

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement