Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tacx vortex smart

Options
  • 03-09-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    2 years ago I bought a basic cheap 2nd hand elite turbo trainer for 50 euro and the past 2 winters just did 30 min gcn spinning along with running for training ...

I saw what i considered a good price from chain reaction for tacx smart vortex , was about 207 , i added a promo code and then another code for new customer and got it for €177

What kind of online software are we using folks , I'll try zwift but surely there are others out there ...

Any other advice on these smart trainers ....I know I probably should have looked into this a bit more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi,
    2 years ago I bought a basic cheap 2nd hand elite turbo trainer for 50 euro and the past 2 winters just did 30 min gcn spinning along with running for training ...

I saw what i considered a good price from chain reaction for tacx smart vortex , was about 207 , i added a promo code and then another code for new customer and got it for €177

What kind of online software are we using folks , I'll try zwift but surely there are others out there ...

Any other advice on these smart trainers ....I know I probably should have looked into this a bit more.

No idea of which us the best software to use with it...

But any chance you could share the promo code ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ceepo wrote: »

But any chance you could share the promo code ??

I used following

(Extra10) to get 10% off
    Then I used a new email address and signed up and used

( NCV2019) To get €10 euro off

Came out with sale price already at €177

Can I ask then what people are using on smart trainers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭ratracer

Cheers OP, just pulled the trigger on this as had been on the lookout for one for a while.

As per your original Q, I’ve used trainer road previously, and it’s good, but it’s price has fairly increased since I was last on it.
    I think I will be trying Zwift this winter, just for the interactive nature of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP, if you like (virtual) climbing give Bigringvr a look,

https://www.bigringvr.com/index.aspx

Others would include Bkool, Rouvy and FulGaz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I used following

(Extra10) to get 10% off
    Then I used a new email address and signed up and used

( NCV2019) To get €10 euro off

Came out with sale price already at €177

Thanks man,

Hopped on it straight away.

I see the price has gone up since:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

They upped the price and have also ended the EXTRA10 code promotion, just as I went to checkout, ouch. Only goes down to 222 now with the 10 euro off with new account creation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Still using Tacx trainer 3.5 software with mine hooked up to an old PC and large monitor. The VR software is a bit cartoony by today's standards but does the job and competing against virtual players adds some fun to a workout. Keep meaning to try something else but haven't got around to it, be interested to hear what you go for and how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

Heh all.
    Was looking at smart trainers over the summer to prepare for the Irish winter and then saw this. I got mine but haven't got a clue bow to use it.
    I have the ant and dongle hooked up to the laptop. When I do the calibration at the the start on the app the tension seems very light but it's bang on in the middle of the lines. (also can't figure out how to use the tacx app)
    When I pair with zwift and try a hilly ride the wheel slips of if I'm doing a workout I'm on the hardest ring most of the time and have to peddle like crazy to get the watts up.
    Please if anyone has any tips and I need to improve my cycling.
    Thanks

dickidy wrote: »
    Heh all.
    Was looking at smart trainers over the summer to prepare for the Irish winter and then saw this. I got mine but haven't got a clue bow to use it.
    I have the ant and dongle hooked up to the laptop. When I do the calibration at the the start on the app the tension seems very light but it's bang on in the middle of the lines. (also can't figure out how to use the tacx app)
    When I pair with zwift and try a hilly ride the wheel slips of if I'm doing a workout I'm on the hardest ring most of the time and have to peddle like crazy to get the watts up.
    Please if anyone has any tips and I need to improve my cycling.
    Thanks

I haven't received mine yet, but i'll get back to you towards the end of next week if you haven't had any other replies.
    FWIW, i've used a few wheel-on trainers (not Smart ones), and never had much problem with wheel slip, so maybe check you have the correct tension on the roller, I think it's done through the Tacx App.

I had a Google of it and it seems to be a problem with them. When you sink it with the app there is a test you do for wheel tension and the comments recommend to aim for the "to tight line " rather then I'm the middle. Also to set the difficulty level in zwift higher. Will try these in the morning at let you know how I get on. I will be raging if my old turbo was better

• Advertisement

I had a Google of it and it seems to be a problem with them. When you sink it with the app there is a test you do for wheel tension and the comments recommend to aim for the "to tight line " rather then I'm the middle. Also to set the difficulty level in zwift higher. Will try these in the morning at let you know how I get on. I will be raging if my old turbo was better

I find it is very sensitive to tyre pressure and tend to run slightly lower pressure with the roller tension tighter. I use old 25mm tyres @90psi which also gives a bit more contact area than 23mm. Dedicated turbo tyres will also improve things but I've never bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

smacl wrote: »
    I find it is very sensitive to tyre pressure and tend to run slightly lower pressure with the roller tension tighter. I use old 25mm tyres @90psi which also gives a bit more contact area than 23mm. Dedicated turbo tyres will also improve things but I've never bothered.

Zwift and virtugo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

So my tacx vortex arrived yesterday ...

I have a garmin speed and cadence sensors on bike ....will I need anything else , I'm going to set it up on laptop and use my Samsung j5 phone as remote ....

Or can I maybe use my phone and mirror it up to my TV using chrome cast ?

thats all i have to , so the actual turbo connects with the phone not the tacx on the laptop ???

thats all i have to , so the actual turbo connects with the phone not the tacx on the laptop ???

The tacx software on your laptop should be connecting to the turbo trainer, I'm not familiar with it but somewhere, most likely in something like settings, you should be able to see what it's connected to and search for other devices like heart rate monitors and powermeters.

Once you find that page, screenshot it and post it up, someone will be able to tell you if everything looks OK then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Guys does the trainer function at all when not plugged in to mains ?

And if it does what functionality do you lose by not being connected?

The wheel spins alright but you will have to put the tension on the wheel tight as it has to plugged in to be done remotely by the app. You basically just have a normal trainer and not a smart trainer if yiu don't plug it in.
    I'm hoping all my kids go to bed early tonight so I can have a good mess with it.
    Can you have the trainer connected to your phone and laptop via Bluetooth.
    My trainer wouldnt get any harder on hills until I unpaired my phone...

Guys does the trainer function at all when not plugged in to mains ?

And if it does what functionality do you lose by not being connected?

On mine, unplugged is effectively minimum resistance as the resistance is generated by electromagnets.

This is where I can get on the tacx app. I could find one workout and when I tried it everything was working, cadance, speed and heart rate..even when I wasn't pedaling everything was going.

Is the app free all the time or just for a trial period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

smacl wrote: »
    On mine, unplugged is effectively minimum resistance as the resistance is generated by electromagnets.

So I gather that unplugged its good for Z1 recovery but probably not a lot else

ratracer wrote: »
    Is the app free all the time or just for a trial period?

You get a month free trial when you buy the vortex.
    Tried to use the tacx app and laptop again.. Got nowhere again. Hitting you tube now to have a look

You get a month free trial when you buy the vortex.
    Tried to use the tacx app and laptop again.. Got nowhere again. Hitting you tube now to have a look

If you're connecting by bluetooth you can only have one connection at a time, so its phone or computer but not both

So I gather that unplugged its good for Z1 recovery but probably not a lot else

Yes, pretty much. That and checking bike setup.

Advertisement