Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrennes Cycling Holiday - 6 nights.

Options
  • 03-09-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Looking for a bit of information regarding a cycling holiday in Pyrennes(French side).
    For the last 2 years based have cycled around the Alpes based in Bourg D'Oisian and now want to do similar for the Pyrennes.

Looking at August timeframe and will bring our own bikes.

So looking for info on:

What airport? - looks like Toulouse is the best.

Town/Village to base ourselves from? Just need somewhere close to plenty of climbs and where we can get something to eat in the evening.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Not sure about where to fly in to, we flew in to Biarritz.

We stayed in Argeles-Gazost near Lourdes in 2014 for the Etape, great central location for loads of scenic climbs.

Climbs, to quote Velo Peloton "Within 15 km there are over 30 categorised climbs, including Col du Tourmalet, Col d’Aubisque, Col du Soller, Hautacam, Cauterets, Luz Ardiden and many more. "

I've done 7 of the climbs and it really is stunning down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Not sure about where to fly in to, we flew in to Biarritz.

We stayed in Argeles-Gazost near Lourdes in 2014 for the Etape, great central location for loads of scenic climbs.

Climbs, to quote Velo Peloton "Within 15 km there are over 30 categorised climbs, including Col du Tourmalet, Col d’Aubisque, Col du Soller, Hautacam, Cauterets, Luz Ardiden and many more. "

I've done 7 of the climbs and it really is stunning down there.

Just a quick one, for the lads/lasses who do these cycling holidays in the mountains.

Do you change your gearing set up significantly or are ye generally just really good climbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

There was a poster on here years ago who ran a guesthouse in the region. From his posts and photos it appeared his location appeared ideal for a cycling holiday in that region.

IIRC he was in the town of Saint Savin in the Argeles Gazost region where there are 6 Tour de France climbs (Soulor/Aubisque, Borderes, Cambasque, Luz Ardiden, Tourmalet & Hautacam + many more within 15km of the town

His company was called Velopeloton www.velopeloton.com and i think the accommodation part has changed hands recently https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g675427-d4895468-Reviews-Hautes_Pyrenees_Cycling_Lodge-Saint_Savin_Hautes_Pyrenees_Occitanie.html#apg=337ebcd576f341f39d997aad57e35ee8&ss=E050004DEC4D14808E75008393428A95

Note: Same place as recommended by 2WheelsGood

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just a quick one, for the lads/lasses who do these cycling holidays in the mountains.

Do you change your gearing set up significantly or are ye generally just really good climbers?
    I use the same gearing as at home - usually a 34/28 as the lowest.

The big European climbs are not any steeper that any of the well known Irish climbs, they are just a lot longer (typically over 20k and up to 60k).

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Perpignan is another airport you might consider

you should def consider having a 32t at the back ....( wish i had this summer over there, but the heat was a big factor too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I'll be honest, not intentionally but I did the Pyrenees with a 39 in front and 27 at the back, thought I had a 34!
    I've since moved to 34/28 and find that fine. The Pyrenees feel different to the Alps, I think they can ramp up for times more so than the Alps.
    A friend of mine just did the Haute Route Pyrenees, this video will give you an idea of what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

cunavalos wrote: »
    There was a poster on here years ago who ran a guesthouse in the region. From his posts and photos it appeared his location appeared ideal for a cycling holiday in that region.

IIRC he was in the town of Saint Savin in the Argeles Gazost region where there are 6 Tour de France climbs (Soulor/Aubisque, Borderes, Cambasque, Luz Ardiden, Tourmalet & Hautacam + many more within 15km of the town

His company was called Velopeloton www.velopeloton.com and i think the accommodation part has changed hands recently https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g675427-d4895468-Reviews-Hautes_Pyrenees_Cycling_Lodge-Saint_Savin_Hautes_Pyrenees_Occitanie.html#apg=337ebcd576f341f39d997aad57e35ee8&ss=E050004DEC4D14808E75008393428A95

Note: Same place as recommended by 2WheelsGood

Run by an Irish girl and a Scottish lad - both very nice. Good grub, lovely rooms, decent workshop and bike wash, honesty bar. Stayed for 2 days last summer, would have stayed a week if I could.

If in the region, take a look at Cirque de Troumousse...a hidden gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I'll be honest, not intentionally but I did the Pyrenees with a 39 in front and 27 at the back, thought I had a 34!
    I've since moved to 34/28 and find that fine. The Pyrenees feel different to the Alps, I think they can ramp up for times more so than the Alps.
    A friend of mine just did the Haute Route Pyrenees, this video will give you an idea of what it's like.

The big majority of climbing in the Pyrenees (at least the two ways I traversed them last year...there are loads of options!) average below 10%, but with plenty of 8%+ sections. That applies particularly to the big-name climbs...Tourmalet, IIRC, only breaks 10% on the last km, Aubisque and Soulor not much different. The exception is Marie Blanque, which is short (5k of steep), but has some solid section in the mid-teens. Cirque de Troumousse, my favourite ride near Saint-Savin, has a seemingly endless series of 10% hairpins...but so worth it.

Climbs to ski stations have to be possible for buses in snow, and so are usually 10% or less too...but of course all the main climbs have profiles online, so you can see for yourself, and pick and choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I spent a week in the Pyrenees a few years back. Stayed in Bagneres-de-Luchon.

If you like climbing its a great place to be based with Col d'Aspin, the Peyresourde, Port de Bales and the Col du Tourmalet all close by.

Accomodation is very reasonable in the area.

Advertisement