Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ideal combi boiler and Walrus pump - advice please

Options
  • 03-09-2019 7:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have recently had a new boiler fitted - changed from an old gas boiler to a new Ideal Combi boiler. It has been put in the attic and it has been supplied with a Walrus 2 bar pump.

The pump is directly over my head in the attic and every hour during the night, even when there is no water running, the pump runs for about 90 seconds, kinda sounds like it is turning over. Is this normal?

So during the night, I got up to investigate to find out what was making the noise and looked at the pump

I was quoted for a Grundfos 3 bar pump and they have fitted a Walrus 2 bar pump. Whilst the change of make doesn't bother me, the power setting does. I'm right to be upset about this, right? I'm in a 3 bed semi with two bathrooms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you were quoted and charged for a 3 bar Grundfoss I would suggest you contact the installer and ask why.
    Regarding the regular cycling on / off of your pump, it does indicate that you are losing pressure somewhere.
    If all taps are off, then check inside all toilet cisterns to see if the filling valves are dripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 greencatkin

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If you were quoted and charged for a 3 bar Grundfoss I would suggest you contact the installer and ask why.
    Regarding the regular cycling on / off of your pump, it does indicate that you are losing pressure somewhere.
    If all taps are off, then check inside all toilet cisterns to see if the filling valves are dripping.

Thanks. I contacted them and they said they must have made an error ordering/the one quoted for was not available/they just fitted what was delivered to them. Extremely disappointed that they seem to have been trying it on but glad that they seem to want to rectify it.

There doesn't seem to be any dripping taps or leaking cisterns, there was no movement in the water tank at all, no refilling or dripping.

The pump didn't seem to be doing much this morning apart from making alot of noise and not pumping water.

Is Grundfos better than Walrus?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Is Grundfos better than Walrus?

If you are comparing like for like 3 bar / 3 bar, I would probably prefer the Grundfoss, on the basis that spare parts would be easier to obtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I have a Walrus in my house and will only come on if a tap isn't tightened properly.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If you are comparing like for like 3 bar / 3 bar, I would probably prefer the Grundfoss, on the basis that spare parts would be easier to obtain.

Thanks. I asked them to replace and they said that the Grundfos is no longer available.

I know this is a lie.

Very worried about the whole installation now tbh.

I still have a water tank in the attic. Shouldn't it be running off the mains?

• Advertisement

Thanks. I asked them to replace and they said that the Grundfos is no longer available.

I know this is a lie.

Very worried about the whole installation now tbh.

I still have a water tank in the attic. Shouldn't it be running off the mains?

No, regulations don’t allow mains fed combis

gary71 wrote: »
    No, regulations don’t allow mains fed combis

Thank you

Advertisement