Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiming for 500+ points Leaving Cert 2020 - is it possible?

Options
  • 02-09-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I just started 6th year a few days ago and let’s just say the last year hasn’t been so good for me in terms of mental health, but I want to make a change and I see a lot of opportunities for myself if I just put a bit of work in this year I think.

In 5th year I got good or excellent grades, but mainly due to cramming. I was a bit lazy in 5th year really. Also, I dropped to ordinary maths and I regret it now. I don’t think there’s anything I can do about it at this stage.

Would also like to mention I go to a pretty bad school, so don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

I was just wondering, is it possible to achieve 500+ points if I start knuckling down in 6th year even though most of my learning in 5th year was cramming? I really need good grades as I want to apply for a scholarship to study in Japan.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

YOU are the one sits your exam, not the school.

You have admitted you are lazy and dropped levels.

Of course it is possible to get 500+, but cramming is not a way to understand information. You may have to re-do the 5th year work and work hard in 6th year.

Of course for some people no matter how hard they work or try, it will not happen, for a number of reasons. If it was as simple as just working hard, many more people would be on 500+ points. Much has to do with innate ability, early educational experiences, family support and environment - subject choice can play a large role too.

All you can do is do your best from now on, regardless of what you did in 5th year. Make sure any elements you have control over, like projects, practicals and orals go as well as they possibly can.

Don't miss any days at school and do every piece of homework as if it counted towards your final mark.

Advertisement