Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam trading cards / badges / whatever

Options
  • 02-09-2019 3:25pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭


    I keep getting these "things" added to my inventory on Steam.

    I don't care about them, but I clicked one out of curiosity and it says it's worth €5.

    So, erm... firstly why is it worth anything (as in what value do people get from it), and secondly how easy is it to sell on and get my hands on the filthy €5?


Comments

  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion


    It's worth that because people are paying it on the marketplace. It's pretty easy to sell those cards but you won't get all of the money (Valve take a big cut) and the money is stored in your steam wallet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    Says I need to have bought something in past 7 days before I can sell anything... guess I'll have to wait a bit.


    What exactly do people gain by buying them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭Skerries


    I use a program to farm my Steam library for cards and then use an extension to sell the cards en mass
    most of the time after Steam take their cut you are only getting on average 2-3 cent each so it is a slow process to get anything so with something like 10k items sold on the market I have just made about €600


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear


    mrcheez wrote: »
    Says I need to have bought something in past 7 days before I can sell anything... guess I'll have to wait a bit.


    What exactly do people gain by buying them?

    The first and central aspect of these cards is to know that it's a scam, just not one direct at you.

    Valve and the game publisher both get a cut of the card sale, 10%. And since it's a minimum cut of 1c, a card selling for 3c, actually gives two thirds of the trade to Valve/the game publisher.

    So a constant slice of any money spent on these cards is being removed from the pool and into their pockets, just so you can have some needless shiny thing.

    Equally some publishers have added cards, yet given their games away for free, since the cards generate more income than the sales. Though Valve did nuke some of the more blatant ones for this.

    That said, use this to extract the cards:

    https://github.com/JonasNilson/idle_master_extended/releases

    and then sell them anyway. The money goes to your steam account and can be spent on anything else on Steam.

    Just don't add any cash of your own.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    Spear wrote: »
    The first and central aspect of these cards is to know that it's a scam, just not one direct at you.

    Valve and the game publisher both get a cut of the card sale, 10%. And since it's a minimum cut of 1c, a card selling for 3c, actually gives two thirds of the trade to Valve/the game publisher.

    So a constant slice of any money spent on these cards is being removed from the pool and into their pockets, just so you can have some needless shiny thing.

    Equally some publishers have added cards, yet given their games away for free, since the cards generate more income than the sales. Though Valve did nuke some of the more blatant ones for this.

    That said, use this to extract the cards:

    https://github.com/JonasNilson/idle_master_extended/releases

    and then sell them anyway. The money goes to your steam account and can be spent on anything else on Steam.

    Just don't add any cash of your own.

    cheers, though I'm only really interested in selling the one that's worth €5.

    All the others are just a few cent.

    So the €5 one I should get roughly €4.50 in steam credit?


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear


    mrcheez wrote: »
    cheers, though I'm only really interested in selling the one that's worth €5.

    All the others are just a few cent.

    So the €5 one I should get roughly €4.50 in steam credit?

    €4, since 20% is paid in charges.

    What is this item for €5 though? Be warned that the price it shows is the price of the last one to sell, which is no guarantee you'll receive that price.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki


    Spear wrote: »
    €4, since 20% is paid in charges.

    What is this item for €5 though? Be warned that the price it shows is the price of the last one to sell, which is no guarantee you'll receive that price.

    It's probably a foil card.
    Think I've got 2 of them over the years, a nice €8 in my wallet from them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick


    some people just like collecting stuff and like to complete sets, same with people who collect anything really + they can show them off on their home page on steam.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    pawrick wrote: »
    some people just like collecting stuff and like to complete sets, same with people who collect anything really + they can show them off on their home page on steam.

    I guess... just seems rather strange.

    I can understand people wanting to collect achievements and show them off for their gaming prowess, but this is essentially the same as buying achievements.


    Yes it's a "foil" one (the only difference I can see if that the background is a different colour).

    I got it for a game I paid €1 for as part of a Humble Bundle collection, so win win.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja


    mrcheez wrote: »
    I can understand people wanting to collect achievements and show them off for their gaming prowess


    RN6fHI5.png


    I'd rather content I can trade for monetary value than some 'achievements', half of which you can get with no effort or skill + many of them are boring, arbitrary or just grind/collection stuff.

    If you don't sell every card you get you can use them to increase your steam friend list by crafting badges... I think. I believe this also slightly increases the trustworthiness of your account. I've done it a few times but I've never spent a single cent on the system with my own money. Just sell a bunch of cards or make them into 'gems' and then craft booster packs of things I actually cared about. At one time I even made it profitable when anime games' booster packs were selling way higher than their net gem investment value. I generally don't bother with the system anymore and it has needed a huge UI and UX overhaul for years now.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus


    Is it better or no different to wait for a steam sale to sell them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus


    Skerries wrote: »
    I use a program to farm my Steam library for cards and then use an extension to sell the cards en mass
    most of the time after Steam take their cut you are only getting on average 2-3 cent each so it is a slow process to get anything so with something like 10k items sold on the market I have just made about €600

    What extension to sell do you use?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    I'd rather content I can trade for monetary value than some 'achievements', half of which you can get with no effort or skill + many of them are boring, arbitrary or just grind/collection stuff.

    nah I'm talking about the people that WANT them... I don't see the point.

    Guy 1: "Hey look I've got 1000 cards!"

    Guy 2: "Cool, you earn them playing games?"

    Guy 1: "No... I bought em"

    Guy 2: ...
    If you don't sell every card you get you can use them to increase your steam friend list by crafting badges... I think. I believe this also slightly increases the trustworthiness of your account.

    How does manipulating cards make your account more trustworthy? :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja


    mrcheez wrote: »
    nah I'm talking about the people that WANT them... I don't see the point.
    I guess it's just a collection thing. Plenty of comparable hobbies and many of them require much more financial investment or effort. Personally I've only crafted badges for games that I had some fondness of and like the "title" they award. But again you can get many of them if you have a large steam library without spending a cent on them directly so someone proud of their collection may not be a simple money flex.
    mrcheez wrote: »
    How does manipulating cards make your account more trustworthy? confused.png
    It shows investment into the account. Financially is the quickest route but having badges crafted consumes the tradable value back into the void and increases your steam rank. This is something not typically done with throw-away, scammer or spam accounts. Valve has had a really bad history with abuse and manipulation of their trading system and given much more monetary incentive to hijack accounts. So the more natural an account looks, someone crafting a few badges here and there along with game purchases increases the liklihood that they're probably just there to use steam legit and so the system will ease up on some of the many restrictions it puts on fresh or zero invested accounts in terms of trading and communication with other players. Most people probably don't know but you can't even send friend invites if you make a new account... at least last time I checked anyway. You can accept them, though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭Skerries


    What extension to sell do you use?

    https://steaminventoryhelper.com/


Advertisement