Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete water troughs

Options
  • 02-09-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi all, from your experience what would be the make of a Concrete drinking trough ye have came across?

Looking to source 5 in the 200 - 300 gallon range. they will be used under a wire so one for every two paddocks. I do like the idea of bottom fill ones but i have low water pressure (gravity flow water scheme, no electricity on site) so probably best to go with a topfill.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have one from Croom concrete under a gutter of a shed for the last 10 yrs.

Murphy concrete is another one. But I don't have any.

Spillanes do a good one too, I've two of their seconds under wires

http://www.spillaneprecastconcrete.com/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

blue5000 wrote: »
    I have one from Croom concrete under a gutter of a shed for the last 10 yrs.

Murphy concrete is another one. But I don't have any.

Spillanes do a good one too, I've two of their seconds under wires

http://www.spillaneprecastconcrete.com/

Rang Spillanes, they are around €30 more expensive per trough than watertrough.ie (Terra) which I think are Spillanes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭1373

Ger1987 wrote: »
    Rang Spillanes, they are around €30 more expensive per trough than watertrough.ie (Terra) which I think are Spillanes also.

Spillanes include the water fittings in their prices, don’t know about the others. I find the spillanes are great to use

Think the prices on the watertrough.ie website from Terra are plus VAT so they are working out the same as Spillane's direct. Anyone get someone in to mole plough in water pipe before? What sort of costs per meter would you be looking at? 550 metre's to do here.

Would bottom fill water troughs work with low water pressure where the water troughs are uphill to where the water feed comes from? I got four 300 gallon troughs delivered out today to an outfarm, they were meant to be top fill but looks like he delivered out bottom fill instead.

Also, plan to have these between two paddocks, the ones he delivered out has the inlet in the short side which would mean it would be out in one of the paddocks instead of under the wire out of the way, if I keep what he delivered would this be an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

Should be the finest id say but sure if you are worried then why not spend a bit extra and get a 225 gallon one or 300 gallon one. If going for a bigger one might be worth pricing with Terra (www.watertroughs.ie) or Spillanes direct as they seam a bit more expensive with Glanbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

Would you consider a Rubbermaid trough? We have had these on our farm for over 20 years and never once have we had one break or leak or need repair. All you need to do is empty them and one man can drag them away somewhere else. These are far higher quality than a JFC trough of which we have had plenty also. You can get 300gal ones too. We have mainly 150gal troughs.

As far as I can see concrete troughs are almost as fragile and a lot less versatile. You are never going to move them even if you feel you got your positioning wrong.

https://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/material-handling/farm-garden/stock-tanks/?sku=FG424700BLA

MTBD wrote: »
    Would you consider a Rubbermaid trough? We have had these on our farm for over 20 years and never once have we had one break or leak or need repair. All you need to do is empty them and one man can drag them away somewhere else. These are far higher quality than a JFC trough of which we have had plenty also. You can get 300gal ones too. We have mainly 150gal troughs.

As far as I can see concrete troughs are almost as fragile and a lot less versatile. You are never going to move them even if you feel you got your positioning wrong.

https://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/material-handling/farm-garden/stock-tanks/?sku=FG424700BLA

Too late for me as I have the new concrete ones in the yard now. Never seen the Rubbermaid troughs before, anything would be better than the plastic JFC ones anyways

Too late for me as I have the new concrete ones in the yard now. Never seen the Rubbermaid troughs before, anything would be better than the plastic JFC ones anyways

Are the JFCs really that bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All our concrete ones destroyed themselves in the bad weather 2010/11

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I thought they were made and sold in the US?

I saw a video on YouTube recently where someone there had made a jacuzzi with a rubbermaid trough ...

Are the JFCs really that bad?

Seen a few split over the years. I suppose they are fine if you have a good solid base gone in under them so they cant go out of shape and ensure their is a good enough water supply to them to avoid them getting moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

gozunda wrote: »
    I thought they were made and sold in the US?

I saw a video on YouTube recently where someone there had made a jacuzzi with a rubbermaid trough ...

Rubbermaid are made in the USA alright. I don't know if anyone sells them here anymore though.

Do lads put troughs on concrete bases or stone? I’m in mucky ground and they’d walk everything away. Thinking of a 6 inch base underneath. Thanks

I put my ones in on a base of 804 just so the base would be level and hopefully stay level over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

What ball valves are best.
    Standard brass type or some of these newer types? I have fair good pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭older by the day

@tards. I wouldn't give one to my worst enemy, them jfc one ain't strong enough to keep the ballcock straight. Was rolling today and spotted another one leaking well duck it anyway

Can vat be reclaimed. As they are a fairly immovable article when installed.

satstheway wrote: »
    Can vat be reclaimed. As they are a fairly immovable article when installed.

Yes. I claimed the vat back on meal troughs and round feeders. They won’t know what they are one dimensions are in the description.

• Advertisement

https://www.fittingsdirect.ie/ourshop/prod_3758596-Fast-Flow-Fill-Valve-1-34-12-all-in-pack.html

Are these any good for concrete drinkers when purchased with the long tail.
    Or are hansen valves worth the extra?

Anyone buy from this site?

I’m putting in water troughs on bases. That’s not the issue. Am I supposed to keep them away from drains? All drains are dry since April and are not marked on the map. There’s a river course that is marked. Am I looking too far into things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is a 70 gallon concrete Murphy water trough ok for 40-50 store/yearilng cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

I’m putting in water troughs on bases. That’s not the issue. Am I supposed to keep them away from drains? All drains are dry since April and are not marked on the map. There’s a river course that is marked. Am I looking too far into things?

wondering the same here ! As far as i know its only farmers at 170 kg n/ha who have to keep back 20m for drains at the moment. If troughs are already in place they make them move them after? Presume same rules will come in for everyone sometime.

Advertisement