Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava or Map My Ride?

Options
  • 02-09-2019 10:58am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been using MMR for several years now. It's fine - gives me my distance, time, speed & time per km & elev gain. I don't use any cardiac equipment but it apparently handles them also.
    I note that people here appear to use Strava more (I actually don't recall the last time seeing a reference to MMR).
    Is there something better about Strava over MMR (free versions)?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not having used MMR, i suspect the popularity of strava gives it an edge if you value the social media aspect of it; following other riders or comparing yourself to others.

if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen. (Or so i'm told).

I've not used MMR, but Strava now seems to be the app for anyone who rides, walks or runs. I used runkeeper when I ran, then when i moved to cycling everyone told me to get on strava, which i can use for both.

Maybe that is why it is so popular, because you can follow friends who run, cycle or swim?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

not having used MMR, i suspect the popularity of strava gives it an edge if you value the social media aspect of it; following other riders or comparing yourself to others.
    There is a community aspect to MMR and if I wanted to find friends, I could.
    Aegir wrote: »
    if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen. (Or so i'm told).

I've not used MMR, but Strava now seems to be the app for anyone who rides, walks or runs. I used runkeeper when I ran, then when i moved to cycling everyone told me to get on strava, which i can use for both.

Maybe that is why it is so popular, because you can follow friends who run, cycle or swim?
    MMR is owned by Under Armour and has Map My Run, Map My Hike, Map My Fitness and other stuff also (that I don't use). As above, you can follow people, etc.
    Maybe Strava has just built a reputation wihtout having a better USP. I don't know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is a community aspect to MMR and if I wanted to find friends, I could.
    only if they're on MMR though. that is probably the one significant thing strava has going for it - sheer numbers. many people will gravitate towards a platform because of who they know is already on it, rather than the features or functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Strava as much a social media platform than anything. Just has the numbers.

I actually use Ride With GPS for mapping routes though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Strava has a fair few third party plugins, and things that it is compatible with, Veloviewer, Stravistix now called Elevate! for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I use MMR to build routes as for some reason the turn guidance always works on my Garmin (800). Strava doesn’t always work.
    I don’t remember what I used for my latest route, but getting on a bike in Spain and finding no maps loading was not what I planned... totally my fault for not checking before I left home. I’ll correct that when I get home 🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The tech behind Strava is probably the weakest. There are loads of competitors: MMR, RWGPS etc. Elevate etc help but I can see them being kicked like Relive.cc when Strava see more moolah to be had in premium.

But, everyone is on it. RWGPS may as well be Google +. Nearly everyone who has a head unit in the club is on Strava
    Hard to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I used CycleMeter for years but as everyone else was using Strava I moved to it also.

Advertisement